Discuss Zs test at a light switch. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

s1m0n

Hi,
Just started 2330 level 3, and on practical assignments,
at the stage on a test rig, one circuit is for lighting.
there is only a Light switch to test at for Zs.

I just lloking for comfirmation that I can (using a 3 lead tester) put the Red lead to the Phase with the switch in the closed position and put the black and green lead on the CPC connection,as there will not be a neutral available.

I read some where that this cant be done if the circuit is protected by an RCD.

Any views Welcome.

Hi,
Just started 2330 level 3, and on practical assignments,
at the stage on a test rig, one circuit is for lighting.
there is only a Light switch to test at for Zs.

I just lloking for comfirmation that I can (using a 3 lead tester) put the Red lead to the Phase with the switch in the closed position and put the black and green lead on the CPC connection,as there will not be a neutral available.

I read some where that this cant be done if the circuit is protected by an RCD.

Any views Welcome.

Why would you want to do a Zs at the light switch because the futhest point away from the DB would be the light fitting after the light switch.

As to the part about tripping the RCD you would need a meter that has a setting which will not trip RCD such as D-LOK on robin meters.

which meter are you using?

I use Meggers, they have two lead (hi-loop) measurements or three lead (no-trip loop for RCD protected circuits)

To be honest i have never tried connecting both black and green to Earth on a three lead measurement, but it wouldnt surprise me if this did trip the RCD - are you not able to do a two lead measurement, or is the lighting circuit RCD protected?

But anyway, (As Ian said) Zs should never be at a light switch, the furthest electrical point has to be the switched line and CPC at the luminaire.

yep,you can piggy back,green and black test lead,but you shouldnt need to,just use the green,you are also testing,that the earth in the switch is connected to the circuit,and you can also verify weather common is in correct terminal at switch,a earth loop impedance test should be carried out at every point within a circuit,testing at what you think is the furthest point,can lead to problems,especially if your registered with a relevant organisational body,and are showing them how you test

Thanks, guys, gives me some food for thought,
I would test at the cieling rose myself, it is just on this test board there is only the Light switch.

Our lecturer likes to make us think !!

You can always do the Zs by measuring R1 and R2 and adding that to Ze on radial circuits provided there are no socket outlets. That would be acceptable for the purpose of the test rig exam I think.

Reply to Zs test at a light switch. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock