Discuss 100mA rcd main switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

polo1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Folks, I've just been at a job with a MEM split board with the sockets coveted by a 100mA, 100A main switch. The installation is 15 years old. Was 100mA ever acceptable in a domestic installation of this age? I'm beginning to doubt myself!
Cheers.

Folks, I've just been at a job with a MEM split board with the sockets coveted by a 100mA, 100A main switch. The installation is 15 years old. Was 100mA ever acceptable in a domestic installation of this age? I'm beginning to doubt myself!
Cheers.
Has the installation got any paperwork, certs etc

15 years old is not acceptable, sockets had to have 30mA by 16th edition from about 1991 I think.
I have seen this on various properties, but not often, mostly they are on ex TT systems where the original RCD was never removed when the system was converted to suppliers earth.
I have just remembered a customer who refused to have RCD protection put back in on their TT after an electrician removed it to prevent the nuisance tripping!!!

Nope, the owner has occupied since new( built by a volume builder) as as was common back then, he was not provided with a copy of the EIC. It's a tidy install with minimal additions. I only noticed it was a 100mA rcd, when it failed the 30mA RCD X11 test!
I'm just trying to recall if there was ever a time where 100mA rcd protection to circuits in a domestic was permitted - I don't think so. It's TNC-S serving a double height MEM board, 100A main switch with the 100A, 100mA rcd covering three RFCs and two cooker radials.

Nope, the owner has occupied since new( built by a volume builder) as as was common back then, he was not provided with a copy of the EIC. It's a tidy install with minimal additions. I only noticed it was a 100mA rcd, when it failed the 30mA RCD X11 test!
I'm just trying to recall if there was ever a time where 100mA rcd protection to circuits in a domestic was permitted - I don't think so. It's TNC-S serving a double height MEM board, 100A main switch with the 100A, 100mA rcd covering three RFCs and two cook

15 years old is not acceptable, sockets had to have 30mA by 16th edition from about 1991 I think.
I have seen this on various properties, but not often, mostly they are on ex TT systems where the original RCD was never removed when the system was converted to suppliers earth.
I have just remembered a customer who refused to have RCD protection put back in on their TT after an electrician removed it to prevent the nuisance tripping!!!

Not entirely correct.
15 years ago only sockets which may reasonably be expected to supply equipment outdoors required RCD protection.

I'm just trying to recall if there was ever a time where 100mA rcd protection to circuits in a domestic was permitted - I don't think so. It's TNC-S serving a double height MEM board, 100A main switch with the 100A, 100mA rcd covering three RFCs and two cooker radials.

Of course it has been,plenty of circuits dont require any RCD protection at all! As I stated above,prior to the 17th edition only sockets which may supply equipment outdoors required 30ma RCD protection,therefore a high level flat on a TT would be perfectly satisfactory with a 100ma RCD!

Of course it has been,plenty of circuits dont require any RCD protection at all! As I stated above,prior to the 17th edition only sockets which may supply equipment outdoors required 30ma RCD protection,therefore a high level flat on a TT would be perfectly satisfactory with a 100ma RCD!

Was thinking non-TT, and from the point in time when rcd might be required (e.g. As you say, sockets which might be used to supply appliances used outside).
ps apologies for the double post!

Richard RCDs on sockets in 1991 were a luxury my friend.

Reply to 100mA rcd main switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net