Discuss 110v transformer to air compressor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I recently brought a 110v aircompressor but when I brought it I was told I could run it through a transformer box as i work on site which worked fine for a month but now the transformer box keeps tripping and has even blown the fuse in the plug.

Am I right to run it through a transformer box? Is the compressor faulty??

I appreciate any help I can get?

It could be that the power rating of the compressor (in kW or kVA) is too large for the transformer. Could you have a look at the compressor and let us know what the rating is, and the same for the transformer. We'll then be able to help a bit more.

Most "site" transformers will have a rating for example 3kva but this is not necessarily its continuous rating more often it is an intermittent rating. The compressor is likely to run continuous so you may well have exceeded the transformers continuous rating.

It could be that the power rating of the compressor (in kW or kVA) is too large for the transformer. Could you have a look at the compressor and let us know what the rating is, and the same for the transformer. We'll then be able to help a bit more.
It says the compressor is 1500kw and the transformer has a 3000va but continues at 1650va if that helps

Most "site" transformers will have a rating for example 3kva but this is not necessarily its continuous rating more often it is an intermittent rating. The compressor is likely to run continuous so you may well have exceeded the transformers continuous rating.
Is it possible to buy a transformer with a higher continuous rating as I have to plug it in to standard plug sockets.

Screenshot_20220102-182709_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220102-182729_Samsung Internet.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 7
If your load were purely resistive then that transformer would be fine but it isn't. Using a power factor of .80 your motor is pushing 1900va and without further info I would be looking at a continuous rating of 2500va, minimum.

If your load were purely resistive then that transformer would be fine but it isn't. Using a power factor of .80 your motor is pushing 1900va and without further info I would be looking at a continuous rating of 2500va, minimum.
Thanks for your help 👍
So if I brought a transformer with a higher continuous rating as you suggest it could stop it tripping?

Thanks for your help 👍
So if I brought a transformer with a higher continuous rating as you suggest it could stop it tripping?
It needs establishing why it has now starting tripping but on all evidence the existing transformer has been overloaded so yes a higher rated transformer should be your answer.

If you are saying that it is behaving differently from when you first started using it, then something has been damaged, which could be either your transformer or the motor.

Reply to 110v transformer to air compressor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net