Discuss 12v power supply units for cameras in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
12v 5A power supply for four cameras, if using shotgun cable with the power cores being 0.15mm, what is max distance from the cameras the power supply can be, as these are normally mounted close to camera itself. I know I can power locally to camera but would prefer to keep it all together. Any help thx T

Depends what cameras you are using, are you talking old coax Analoque or cat 5 digital. I think 100metres max would be okay. I have used cat 5 twisted pairs for power & video. You will need video baluns at each end to convert .

Depends what cameras you are using, are you talking old coax Analoque or cat 5 digital. I think 100metres max would be okay. I have used cat 5 twisted pairs for power & video. You will need video baluns at each end to convert .

I reckon there would be considerable volt drop over 100M. Uess the camera is very very low power consumption.

Its 4 channel analogue DVR, 400mA cameras x 4

I have shotgun cable and camera distance is about 15m to furthest camera.

I want to buy multi power supply unit, which was hoping to mount beside dvr itself rather than local to cameras..

But when I look at the shotgun cable the power conductors are thin 0.15mm.

So am wondering if the psu will loose voltage over the 15m run or does it stay constant
1654875807616868193366327769772.jpg

According to that label on the drum the power cores are 12 strands of 0.15mm diameter which equates to 0.21 sqmm. This will give about 0.18V drop per amp per metre run.
At 400mA per camera that's 0.071 V/m or 1.06V for the 15m run.
If you launch at 12V and the cameras are OK at 10.9V you're in. What is the camera spec? If it allows up to 13.8V as some 12V equipment does, can you launch at the higher voltage?

I think the 100m max on cat 5 is for video signal although I've had a run of 120m before and it still worked, not tried power at that distance always picked it up locally.

To the op,
I have a camera wired in shotgun cable on one of our sheds about 30m ish away this is fed from a 5a 12v supply and has been fine for 10 years, I think 15m will be fine!
Sy

It's a solid core, looks pretty much same as a cat/data cable size.. cameras are definitely 12v. It doesnt mention +- on the voltage.

I think the 100m max on cat 5 is for video signal although I've had a run of 120m before and it still worked, not tried power at that distance always picked it up locally.

To the op,
I have a camera wired in shotgun cable on one of our sheds about 30m ish away this is fed from a 5a 12v supply and has been fine for 10 years, I think 15m will be fine!
Sy
You can get that shotgun with 1mm cable also, maybe you have that, as said looks like a data core size

In my limited experience 10M will be fine, but anything over I would definitely test it first.

In my limited experience 10M will be fine, but anything over I would definitely test it first.
I fitted cameras for a while years ago, and my thoughts were 10M, but we always fitted local to camera and sometimes used two core flex.

Similar to led drivers 5m .75, 10m 1.0mm, 15m 1.5mm etc

In practice you will probably get less drop at the furthest camera because all the camera grounds will be interconnected by the video cable screens which (if it is decent cable) will be of a much lower resistance than the black core of the power pair. Even if the recorder ground is not connected to the PSU ground, some current from the furthest cameras will tend to pass through it, back to the nearest cameras, and to the 12V PSU through the power leads from those. I.e. the half of the drops contributed by the black leads will tend to average out between the cameras.

Also, you've got to be careful with the cheap long extension cables for CCTV use. I had a 30M one and yes, the video went through fine, but the power cable they had used was nowhere near capable of the job.

Normally get them free with with cheap kits. Had some knocking about for ages.. last few kits i fitted for ppl was poe, alot simplier.

It's very rare that I will use the supplied leads on Cctv kits.
I tend to do nearly all in cat5 with baluns these days as it's so much easier and you don't need a massive hole to get the premade plugs through!
Sy

Reply to 12v power supply units for cameras in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net