Discuss 2 gang / 2 way for hallway & landing lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all , just found this circuit on Wiki. Is it this design correct ? Are we allowed to have two seperate supplies interconnected ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240220_220111_Samsung Internet.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 24
Those circuits aren't interconnected. The drawing shows two 2 gang, 2 way switches which seem to represent a situation where hall and landing lights are switched from both hall and landing. Hall is on downstairs circuit and landing on upstairs.

If you follow through the circuit and look at what happens when each switch is operated (represented by red lines), you'll see how it works.

It is worth pointing out that, while circuits aren't interconnected, care needs to be taken with such switching arrangements as there will still be live conductors behind the switch plate when only one circuit is isolated. For this reason a lot of sparks will have a landing light supplied from the downstairs circuit.

Those circuits aren't interconnected. The drawing shows two 2 gang, 2 way switches which seem to represent a situation where hall and landing lights are switched from both hall and landing. Hall is on downstairs circuit and landing on upstairs.

If you follow through the circuit and look at what happens when each switch is operated (represented by red lines), you'll see how it works.

It is worth pointing out that, while circuits aren't interconnected, care needs to be taken with such switching arrangements as there will still be live conductors behind the switch plate when only one circuit is isolated. For this reason a lot of sparks will have a landing light supplied from the downstairs circuit.
That makes sense now, thanks !

I would supply the landing light from the downstairs circuit, not just to avoid having two circuits in one switch assembly, but also so that, in the event of failure of either circuit, upstairs rooms will still have a working light either inside or outside of those rooms, and a likelihood of still having some light on the stairs.

Reply to 2 gang / 2 way for hallway & landing lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net