Discuss 2 spurs from a Junction Box....worried? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've searched and I can't find any reg that proves this againt regulation, thats not to say it doesn't exist.

Personally in this situation and working with what you have, overloading would be my main concern. You could always fuse each of the sockets to a more suitably reduced fuse and/or label the sockets for specific use only.

This is almost as good as getting a phone call from a spark who was spitting feathers about the fact that I'd put a 2.5mm radial on a 32a mcb and made it '2 circuits' when all I'd done is take a spur from the MCB!
Think about the Physics for a second...would a 2nd jb and a few inches of cable materially alter the way the circuit operates? No...so why do it?

edit- posted too early wasn’t finished typing

73296F6A-73A0-4D20-A482-52031D42D60B.png

Last edited:
The joint box can effectively be considered as a socket on the ring. Only one unfused spur should be taken from a single point on a ring circuit as prescribed in appendix 15 the fact that’s it’s informative bears no weight on the argument as says that the design shown fulfils the requirements of 433.1

View attachment 45067

Ok, but where in 433.1 does it preclude taking two spurs from a single point on a ring final circuit?

That's all I'm asking.

I can't find a regulation that precludes it, but I'm happy to be proved wrong because then I'll have learned something new :)

The joint box can effectively be considered as a socket on the ring. Would you take two separate unfused spurs from one socket outlet? Only one unfused spur should be taken from a single point on a ring circuit as prescribed in appendix 15 the fact that’s it’s informative bears no weight on the argument as says that the design shown fulfils the requirements of 433.1 and therefore that’s why the appendix is informative the diagram clearly shows one junction box on the ring with one unfused spur connected to it.
You cannot specify indefinitely which loads will be connected to a socket by current or future users of the installation for example it would not be unreasonable for electric heaters to be plugged into both sockets in a situation where the main source of heating was broken and still have two sockets to plug in straighteners hairdryers etc etc which could lead to the overload of the junction box.
Not to mention bad practice of ramming 4 connections into each terminal of the junction box.

022C96AC-2006-41F6-8CEE-5C17D9C73586.png

There is none, and what has been done is fine, if slightly unorthodox. Lots on here quoting appendix 15 as having some god like status, but it's only a guide, hence uses terms such as 'this can generally be achieved by' I.e. follow this and you don't have to think, all will be well. Think outside the box and all will still be well, provided you've thought, not guessed! In this case the op might have guessed but got away with it!

Oh no let’s not start this again!

None of us with a brain cell would ever do it this way anyway, so even if it isn’t against the regs let’s just pretend it is?

Someone said they’d only ever do it like this if they absolutley had too - but I can’t even imagine a scenario which would make this even a viable option.

So...

I’m rewriting the regs. It’s now forbidden.

Can we end this discussion now? My eyeballs are bleeding.

Appendix 15 is informative, and it says if you follow this appendix, you will meet the requirements of 433.1. However, it is NOT prescriptive, there may be other means of meeting 433.1 that are not covered by this diagram.

You don't have to "ram" 4 connections into each terminal, nowadays many (most?) of us are using maintenance-free connectors (Wago, etc.) that have 4 or 5 terminals, and are rated to 32A or more.

Appendix 15 is informative, and it says if you follow this appendix, you will meet the requirements of 433.1. However, it is NOT prescriptive, there may be other means of meeting 433.1 that are not covered by this diagram.

You don't have to "ram" 4 connections into each terminal, nowadays many (most?) of us are using maintenance-free connectors (Wago, etc.) that have 4 or 5 terminals, and are rated to 32A or more.

Wago's are 24 A if my memery serves me correctly

There is none, and what has been done is fine, if slightly unorthodox. Lots on here quoting appendix 15 as having some god like status, but it's only a guide, hence uses terms such as 'this can generally be achieved by' I.e. follow this and you don't have to think, all will be well. Think outside the box and all will still be well, provided you've thought, not guessed! In this case the op might have guessed but got away with it!
It says “this appendix sets out options for the design for ring final circuits in household and similar premises in accordance with regulation 433.1.”
For once there isn’t any ambiguity in the regulations

Last edited:
I was actually suggesting that if you have a brain and use it wisely you could save yourself the cost of a jb and 4" of t&e and still comply. Or stop thinking and just slavishly follow the picture.

I’m not just trying to be argumentative I genuinely believe that it isn’t allowed.
where does it say there may be other means of meeting 433.1? I can’t see that anywhere?
I think the OP was saying that he used the screw type junction boxes and that’s why earlier in the thread someone had raised about the junction box needing to be accessible.

Last edited:
Let me ask the question in another way...

You've just been asked to inspect the OPs property for an EICR and you find this junction box, it's been changed to a maintenance free one so that's no longer an issue.

How would you code the fact there are two spurs taken from the one junction box and what regulation would you quote to substantiate that coding?

Ok, but where in 433.1 does it preclude taking two spurs from a single point on a ring final circuit?

Very rare I disagree with your stance on electrics but I think your enterpretation based on if it doesn't say you can't do something in the regs then you can do it.

It doesn't say you shouldn't wire a banana form a junction box to a tomatoe in a ring final, does that mean you can.

433.1 says what you can do.

Reply to 2 spurs from a Junction Box....worried? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net