Discuss 3-way dimmer switch gets brighter when dimmed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I installed a 3-way Lutron dimmer toggle switch in my basement to control 5 dimmable LED track lights, LED track lights slowly brighten to near 100% when I dim to around 50%. If I dim below roughly 25% brightness then they tend to keep their set level. Initially they worked fine. I installed two more of these in other rooms and haven’t had any issues, also with the same LED track lights. All lights were controlled by two switches so all use 3-way dimmers. This is a brand new home and no known electrical issues. Thus far I’ve tried calibrating the little +- tuner on the side of the switch but no success. Any ideas? Bad switch or maybe ground wire contacting something? I have no idea, this is the extent of my electrical experience.

Dimmable LEDs and their dimmers often have peculiar behaviours. Small differences such as the exact number or power rating of LEDs on each dimmer can radically change the stability, so unless the other identical dimmers are controlling the exact same complement of LEDs you can't read much into the fact that they work but this doesn't. Multiple dimmers can also interact, especially on the same circuit. You could try swapping this dimmer for one of the others to see if the behaviour follows the dimmer or the lighting fixtures. Lutron technical might be able to offer suggestions.

I installed a 3-way Lutron dimmer toggle switch in my basement to control 5 dimmable LED track lights, LED track lights slowly brighten to near 100% when I dim to around 50%. If I dim below roughly 25% brightness then they tend to keep their set level. Initially they worked fine. I installed two more of these in other rooms and haven’t had any issues, also with the same LED track lights. All lights were controlled by two switches so all use 3-way dimmers. This is a brand new home and no known electrical issues. Thus far I’ve tried calibrating the little +- tuner on the side of the switch but no success. Any ideas? Bad switch or maybe ground wire contacting something? I have no idea, this is the extent of my electrical experience.
My friend you are having problems with your switches, some work on LED lights and some don’t. Change your 2 switches.

Reply to 3-way dimmer switch gets brighter when dimmed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net