Discuss 3G 2W ...loop at switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
3gang,2way,loop at switch

Hopefully this is the easiest method for my install

I have a 3 gang switch at each end of the room...

taking the supply to the switch (cable 1),
3x cables to each light and 3x 3core to the second switch...

Just wanted to confirm this is correct? Thanks

35mm back box recommended, also if you can use a double width 3 way switch there will be much more room.

Yes but one switch is going to be rammed with conductors.

Thanks for confirming, i am still learning!

As for the number of cables.. Unfortunately it will be rammed..lol Apart from running the supply to the light first, i believe this is the only way?

the photo ive attached...how will each 3 core alter the wiring..?

previously ive done 2 way lighting but the feed was to the light fitting...

thanks

Attachments

• 88e96c3247557b70fb63c30e3e6afa78.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 23
Draw out what you intend to do first, it will make it easier for you to understand when you are connecting up .
Also, ensure all cables are marked and you have a drawing of where they all go.

A seasoned spark will still have a hard time figuring out what to do with 17 cores, (7 brown, 4 blue, 3 black and 3 grey) if they are not marked..
Ensure a small bit of outer sheave is visible so you can tell what cores come from what cable.

Thanks guys... First fix complete

Can someone kindly just explain how the cabling will look for just 'one' light ...so i can copy it over for rest of the lights

So i have a incoming supply cable to switch ....the light cable and the 3 core to the second switch...

Thankyou

At each switch connect the grey of a 3 core to common [brown sleeved] , at L1 on each switch connect your looped feed together with the brown of the relevant 3 core and at L2 the switched live to the light with the black of the three core [brown sleeved]. At the other 3 gang switch connect each 3 core the same i.e. grey - common , brown - L1 and grey - L2.
But be careful to keep the cores of each cable in the same switch or you could have a headache sorting it out.

i always use black in common on 2 way. ties in with we used to use yellow for common in the good old days of sensible colours.the red (brown ) is perm L. blue (grey) switched L.

Always had red in common up here, with yellow and blue as strappers.
now brown as common.

I saw an unconventional system not long ago that had the feed at the switch, then a 3 core from switch, to light, then down to other switch.

i always use black in common on 2 way. ties in with we used to use yellow for common in the good old days of sensible colours.the red (brown ) is perm L. blue (grey) switched L.

My method is also a nod to the past really, I also liked using yellow as common with two reds together in L1 then black and blue in L2 [little rhyme there:)] So now with grey as common I now have two browns in L1 and still black and blue in L2.

My method is also a nod to the past really, I also liked using yellow as common with two reds together in L1 then black and blue in L2 [little rhyme there:)] So now with grey as common I now have two browns in L1 and still black and blue in L2.
that's how we always done it back in the day, so we had 2 reds in L1, and blue and black in L2.
[automerge]1602011676[/automerge]
that's how we always done it back in the day, so we had 2 reds in L1, and blue and black in L2. i rem.back in the 70's, doinf a rewire on an ex-council house. client wanted 2 way switching in all 4 bedrooms with pull cords over the beds, , so, with landing anf hall being 2 way, there were 6 2 way lighting points. them days, dead testing was non-existent on domestic. the bang test was the rule. anyway, powered it up and all 2 way lights were off. thinking must be a fault, tried a switch and light came on. same with all the others. what are the oddss of 12 2 way switches all being in the correct position for that?

Reply to 3G 2W ...loop at switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net