Discuss 6kw sauna sharing cooker supply is it even a possibility?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Right this maybe a completely stupid idea....but, guy wants a 6kw pre built sauna in back garden. The fuseboard million miles to back of house so wiring new circuit would be a nightmare. But he does have a cooker supply right near back door of garden. I know it's deemed good practice to have cooker and sauna on own dedicated circuits but if come from cooker switch with adequate sized cable out to rotary switch for sauna and they was never used at same time could this not be a possibility? I have also heard mentioned before that in scenario like this a change over switch might be able to be used? And this would prevent both being used at same time. Could someone explain to me how this would work and how it would be installed. Thanks

Right this maybe a completely stupid idea....but, guy wants a 6kw pre built sauna in back garden. The fuseboard million miles to back of house so wiring new circuit would be a nightmare. But he does have a cooker supply right near back door of garden. I know it's deemed good practice to have cooker and sauna on own dedicated circuits but if come from cooker switch with adequate sized cable out to rotary switch for sauna and they was never used at same time could this not be a possibility? I have also heard mentioned before that in scenario like this a change over switch might be able to be used? And this would prevent both being used at same time. Could someone explain to me how this would work and how it would be installed.
no it can not be done, considering the loading.think about the loading.

Is the cooker on an RCD circuit?

Also what sort of distances and what cable is already in place? You need to check the voltage drop even though a change over switch would avoid the risk of cooker and sauna at the same time.

Does the sauna have lights? It might be a risk if someone changes back to use the cooker with folk in there. I'm not seeing this as a terribly good idea.

I will also say no this is not a good idea. It is bad practice to design a circuit with fixed loads that exceed the rating of the circuit.
they was never used at same time
You can't rely on a customer to ensure that.
but if come from cooker switch with adequate sized cable
A cooker switch is unlikely to be designed to accommodate 2 cables per terminal.

Would a shower priority relay do the job? It's rough as far as functionality goes - people wouldn't expect to have two seemingly unrelated things interlocked - but would solve the electrical objections.

Also what sort of distances and what cable is already in place? You need to check the voltage drop even though a change over switch would avoid the risk of cooker and sauna at the same time.

Does the sauna have lights? It might be a risk if someone changes back to use the cooker with folk in there. I'm not seeing this as a terribly good idea.

The DB is rcd protected mate. The cooker is on 6mm and would say at most 10 metres in length. I would extend this in 4mm in swa to outside waterproof rotary switch. This additional length would be around 5 metres
[automerge]1586463267[/automerge]
a change over switch would avoid the risk of cooker and sauna at the same time.
[automerge]1586463460[/automerge]
A cooker switch is unlikely to be designed to accommodate 2 cables per terminal.

Yeah very true Freddo ?
[automerge]1586463629[/automerge]
Would a shower priority relay do the job? It's rough as far as functionality goes - people wouldn't expect to have two seemingly unrelated things interlocked - but would solve the electrical objections.

Have you got a link or description of these Lucien and how they could potentially be used. Thanks

Last edited:
Where actually is the consumer unit - front of the house? If so, can you not run a new circuit in SWA down the side of the house and in to the front to the CU?

As above priority switch but I don’t think it’s something I’d want to be involved in....you mentioned 10 mtrs and 5 mtrs is that all the distance is to the consumer unit?...doesn’t seem far are you sure there’s no way to run a dedicated circuit? Outside building etc?

A two pole changeover switch would keep the two loads separate. But I think the whole thing would not be advisable in that it’s an unusual configuration and we can’t rely on the installation not being interfered with down the track ... just my 20p.

Depending on how it is enclosed/insulated 6mm T&E won't be suitable for 48A

But checking and/or replacing with 10mm would allow something like a 50A MCB at the CU if a lack of space is the reason for not running another circuit.

Worse case scenario perhaps 5kW cooker. Applying diversity calcs for the cooker/hot tub combo comes out a 48 VAC. That would suggest 50 or 63 amp MCB and 6 guage cable. My 10p worth.
my computer say no, regulation 433.1.204 (iii) any power exceeding 2 kw on the own dedicated radail circuit ,does not include a 6 kw sauna .

Last edited:

Reply to 6kw sauna sharing cooker supply is it even a possibility?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net