Discuss A comparison with Project Management... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SW1970

Hi folks, thought you might find this interesting. Please keep follow up posts constructive.

I've been in the technical side (inc high availability power) of the high tech industry for many years and have following being made redundant a year ago moving into domestic & light commercial electrical work. Over the last 10 years I've worked very closely with project managers. In the world of project management, there is a qualification called Prince2 that PMs are supposed to have. Prince2 is controlled by the Office of Government Commerce. It's more or less impossible to get a job without Prince2 (even with significant experience). Interestingly, I've seen that it's easy to get a job with Prince2 and very little experience. Government puts Prince2 in public tenders as a minimum requirement for how major projects will be run. Now, here's the thing. I've come across oodles of PMs that couldn't project manage their way to do the weekly shop at Sainsbury's. At one point I picked up a team of 30 PMs, all with Prince2, about half of which (upon picking the team up) I wouldn't trust with a single penny of budget. Yet, this qualification is seen as the bees knees. PM today isn't a bit of organisation like it used to be, it's now full blown leadership, including H&S and control of contractors. Having seen this in several large companies (inc consultancies) and with several large clients, I think this view is pretty accurate across the discipline of PM.

So what we have is a government sponsored qualification/scheme that lots of people have qualified/obtained when perhaps they shouldn't have, where the customer thinks it's all fine and dandy and is prepared to pay, and where there are a core of experts who hold a very different view about the realities of the situation.

Sound familiar? In the world of PM worst case is a late project, perhaps overbudget and a stroppy client. The PM might get fired (but probably won't) and just move onto the next project. In the world of electrical installations it could be a lot more serious.

Dodgy project managers will continue to deliver rubbish projects, dodgy electricians will continue to expose client to risk and maybe a fire 10 years later, or at least a mess for the next guy to clear up.

Other threads have commented on the need for licensing etc. I think it needs to be deeper than that. There needs to be a proper risk of being struck off. Dodgy doctors get struck off and can't do any more damage.

My chart just fell off the wall and fell behind the filing cabinets!
Usual place for it when a project engineer came in to the office.

You’re talking to house bashers and industrial louts, what the HELL is your point?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

Prince2 is really the first step on the ladder for project managers and most stay on that first step. Prince2 is just a frame work of steps to align projects especially for public projects and mainly for IT based projects.

Its a very worthy qualification to have but you do need some experience with projects prior to the course (that or be a classroom swat) the course is intense and IMHO too intense but thats just me.

Your right some Project manager are less than perfect and need back up. It's just the same in all sectors of work, you can have the qualification but do you know how to use it. experience is the key. Like i said its just a frame work to work to so anyone can hop onto and take over should the need arise, every thing is monitored and tracked and followed up (if you follow it correctly)

I don't know how the market is for employment with Prince2 for myself as i haven't needed to change jobs for some years and now i'm going to run my own business, this may help me get projects but it also may not....

I learnt years ago, one project one project manager... maybe have a pm as a team leader but still only one in overall control.....

There's my two penneths on the subject... I think I understand what your saying but it will never happen to get struck off??? It would have to be applied across all areas of life and that ain't never gonna happen. Short of it is, if your an awful PM then you will get found out and you won't get work!!!!

Hi Apollo, you're right! The difference in the electrotechnical industry (vs PM) is that certificates are being signed that others will rely on. A dodgy electrician getting it wrong and signing a certificate (and posts of the past few days confirm this is happening) could mean someone might die. Surely that means there must be a striking off procedure? The project management comparison was to highlight government mandating ill thought out certification schemes. Generally people won't die if a PM gets it wrong.

The potential outcome of folks with negligible experience getting on a competent person scheme, is very serious in some sectors (but not all). E.g. you wouldn't pay a 5 day wonder architect to design your new house, or a 5 day structural engineer to do the calcs for your new overhead walkway. You'd expect them to be Chartered (which implicitly means post qualification experience). When I say striking off procedure, I mean similar to doctors, architects, and strangely enough, engineers, there is an authority body that can take away the right to trade, or perhaps dish out a few slaps before getting to that stage. I'm not bringing civil or criminal legal routes of restitution into this because that applies in any scenario.

It is simply wrong that (e.g.) an accountant can spend a few thousand on some C&G qualifications, join a scheme (which isn't that hard) and then sign certificates, with no serious authority looking down on them. During my professional training it was drummed into me to the nth degree that if I was ever signing a document, I had to be 100% certain I knew why I was signing, that I was happy with the content and knew what the repercussions were of getting it wrong. How many fast track sparks (or perhaps even some more mature sparks) take that approach? I've got 3 PIRs in my hands from 3 different electricians that I've received as a customer that are quite frankly laughable. In one case the installation was unsafe for 2 reasons and the electrician missed both.

Phew. Got it all off my chest now!

Reply to A comparison with Project Management... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net