Discuss A couple of questions in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nealhibbert

Hello, new to the forum so be gentle :)

These have probably been answered before but I thought I would get a fresh 'outlook'.

I completed my City and Guilds A and B certificates in electrical installation back in 1978 and 1980. I was in the trade for about 7 years before I opted for a carrer change. Now after nealry 30 years being out of the 'game' I am due to retire in June next year from my current job.

I understand that I need to complete the 17th edition of IEE, this is in hand and will be done early next year. I am also considering completing the testing certificate afterwards.

Now are my original certificates still valid (I have been told various answers) even City and Guilds themselves could no answer this, well not without paying them a fee of ÂŁ34 a certificate.

What are todays equivilant to the A and B certificate (B used to mean that you were classed as an approved electrician).

I still have no idea what I am going to do when I retire, but am in the fortunate position of not having to earn a fortune to suppliment my pension :hurray: I have been told that 'testers of installations are in rather short supply, no idea if that is true or not?

I completed my apprentiship with a firm called Rashliegh Phipps (no longer?) who were based in Acton, West London. Mainly worked up in the city of London on new builds or refurbishments, last job was the Nat West Tower. Ahhhhh those were the days of wind up meggars and a lightbulb or buzzer as testing equipment :)

All answers gratefully appreciated and thanks in advance!

Hello, new to the forum so be gentle :)

These have probably been answered before but I thought I would get a fresh 'outlook'.

I completed my City and Guilds A and B certificates in electrical installation back in 1978 and 1980. I was in the trade for about 7 years before I opted for a carrer change. Now after nealry 30 years being out of the 'game' I am due to retire in June next year from my current job.

I understand that I need to complete the 17th edition of IEE, this is in hand and will be done early next year. I am also considering completing the testing certificate afterwards.

Now are my original certificates still valid (I have been told various answers) even City and Guilds themselves could no answer this, well not without paying them a fee of ÂŁ34 a certificate. I sincerely hope they are valid as that is what i have. Yes the C & G do attest them for 34 pounds, why are you needing them authenticated?

What are todays equivilant to the A and B certificate (B used to mean that you were classed as an approved electrician). I would imagine the 2330 is the equivalent now parts 1 and 2 but the younger lads will tell you better.

I still have no idea what I am going to do when I retire, but am in the fortunate position of not having to earn a fortune to suppliment my pension :hurray: I have been told that 'testers of installations are in rather short supply, no idea if that is true or not? Like all walks of life good and competent people are in short supply, but there is a glut of the not so good or competent

I completed my apprentiship with a firm called Rashliegh Phipps (no longer?) who were based in Acton, West London. Mainly worked up in the city of London on new builds or refurbishments, last job was the Nat West Tower. Ahhhhh those were the days of wind up meggars and a lightbulb or buzzer as testing equipment :)

All answers gratefully appreciated and thanks in advance!

I assume that you did a JIB apprenticeship, did you get the approved grade?

Yes done a full JIB apprenticeship and received the approved grade. I just dug my old certificates out, wow circa 1976!

Thanks for your answers BTW. No I did not need them authenticated, it was just in case I could not find them, which I now have :hurray:

Looks like I need to go back to school for a short while (5 week days to attain the 17th edition), then maybe some sort of refresher course. I do not plan on going back on site and bending conduit or lugging armoured cable about thats for sure lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes done a full JIB apprenticeship and received the approved grade. I just dug my old certificates out, wow circa 1976!

Thanks for your answers BTW. No I did not need them authenticated, it was just in case I could not find them, which I now have :hurray:

Looks like I need to go back to school for a short while (5 week days to attain the 17th edition), then maybe some sort of refresher course. I do not plan on going back on site and bending conduit or lugging armoured cable about thats for sure lol.

Oh Neal,you are indeed out of touch
icon7.png

These jobs are to be carried out by lesser mortals than yourself shortly

Electricians have apparently been used for doing these tasks since invention, but have just been told that it doesn't need the skills,it is being siphoned off to lower paid mortals who can concentrate on doing the job better for less cost than a trained spark

You can now free up some brain cells to use, instead of the ones for doing most of the practical skills that were expected of a spark

Change,dont you just love it
icon9.png
icon13.png

Oh Neal,you are indeed out of touch
icon7.png

These jobs are to be carried out by lesser mortals than yourself shortly

Electricians have apparently been used for doing these tasks since invention, but have just been told that it doesn't need the skills,it is being siphoned off to lower paid mortals who can concentrate on doing the job better for less cost than a trained spark

You can now free up some brain cells to use, instead of the ones for doing most of the practical skills that were expected of a spark

Change,dont you just love it
icon9.png
icon13.png

Very out of touch. Spoke to the JIB, have to do a health and safety assessment, which I have booked for Jan 2012, then I have to do a 17th edition course, followed by a 2391 course. All in all a grands worth of courses :shocked3: JIB had all my details from back in the late 70's, apprenticeship details, qualifications etc, impressive!

I actually thought I did get to approved ticket but I obviously changed career before this happened hence having to do the 2391 cert to finally reach that high plateaux, my memory is not as good as it was.

des, it's no wonder sparks are getting fatter-- no more heaving on a hilmor, no mauling heavy SWA, even i sit to fit accessiries when i can.

Hi Neal,
I think C+G want ÂŁ34 for a duplicate certificate rather than checking if they are valid.

If you had a JIB apprenticeship, I think I would do the 17th cert and then the CSCS test (it a health and safety multi-guest questionnaire)
sent a cheque off to the JIB and then they will send you a new approved electricians card
That is the theory anyway. you may have been working for non-JIB companies for the last 30 years
being on the safe side I would dig out you indentures, but I doubt if there would have been an issue.
as you may or maynot be aware, the old JIB number was your National Insurance number (this changed within the last 8 years)

Practically if I were you I would get work as an electricians mate to get back upto speed.

good luck

Reply to A couple of questions in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net