Discuss A question to you gaffers out there? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

danielson_39

Hi all, I've been wanting to start up on my own for a few years now, but with the recession, mortgage, partner and child have'nt been able to make the jump. I'm 27 and have been working on the tools since i was 17. I currently work cards in with a relatively small company that consists of 3 sparks and an apprentice (that includes the gaffer) we cover a good range of work for a small company from small extensions, kitchens etc to school work and installing factory production lines.

To cut to the chase I want to start up on my own on the side working weekends/evenings etc hoping to gradually start to get the work where I feel I can carry on on my own. I intend to go down the correct route with insurance,van, NIC/elecsa registration etc

I'd just like to ask the opinion of any gaffers out there how they would feel if one of there lads wanted to do this? I'm going to be totally upfront with my boss, sit him down and explain to him my intentions and reassure him that I'm not trying to steal his work/contacts and that he'd still be my priority, any thoughts or comments would be greatly received thanks :)

Say nowt to your gaffer mate. No matter how much you toe the company line you will be seen as outside the tent peeing in instead of the other way round

Depend on the gaffer had it myself admired the honesty and the lad still subbys to me when im busy. To be fair he never broke any of my 3 main rules. Don't lie to me, don't steal from my and don't steal my customers. So may work out for you

That's what I'm hoping, if I dont say anything word will soon get around and I think he'd appreciate it coming from me than anybody else, suppose it could go either way and I won't know till I say. Will just have to make sure I catch him in a good mood, haha:)

It depends on the type of bloke he is, and how you've been with him up to now. Personally, if I were in his shoes I'd think better of you for telling me up front.

Remember that envy can play a big part of problems for you I should know I left what some would say was a good paying job because of backbiting and poor standards. At the time comments such as
He's a fool
Friggin idiot
Has he gone mad ?
Then 2 years later no longer working shifts no longer getting grief no longer having to put up with egos the only comment I got was
Aye well you were lucky

So here's the deal you can run a business part time along side your PAYE job as long as you declare it to HMRC plus no need to tell the gaffer and see how it goes luck has nothing to do with it you make your own when you start up a business

Danielson 39. You are obviously the best judge of what to do in your situation but just a word of caution before you say anything. If I were you I'd check your employment contract to ensure that there is no clause that prevents you from '' moonlighting ". If there is you could be putting yourself at risk. Secondly you need to consider the Health and Safety implications of working evenings/weekends in addition to your day job. It is likely that you will be well over the maximum working week, which may not be a problem for you but it may be for your current employer in the event ( heaven forbid) that you were to have an accident at work. If the HSE got involved and if they found out the hours you were working and that your Employer knew he could be sued. A lot of ifs and worst case scenario I know but as I said it depends on your gaffer and the attitude he might adopt to this. You know him, so you can be the judge. Hope it works out for you.

Maybe you should suggest that instead of being employed by him, you become a self employed contractor.

You never know it may suit him not to have the overheads right now ..... but be careful as if you tell him and he gets the hump, you could well find yourself self employed sooner than you'd hoped for.

Danielson 39. You are obviously the best judge of what to do in your situation but just a word of caution before you say anything. If I were you I'd check your employment contract to ensure that there is no clause that prevents you from '' moonlighting ". If there is you could be putting yourself at risk. Secondly you need to consider the Health and Safety implications of working evenings/weekends in addition to your day job. It is likely that you will be well over the maximum working week, which may not be a problem for you but it may be for your current employer in the event ( heaven forbid) that you were to have an accident at work. If the HSE got involved and if they found out the hours you were working and that your Employer knew he could be sued. A lot of ifs and worst case scenario I know but as I said it depends on your gaffer and the attitude he might adopt to this. You know him, so you can be the judge. Hope it works out for you.

whats one of these 'employment contracts' you speak of lol, never had one or seen one where I worked last lol

Remember that envy can play a big part of problems for you I should know I left what some would say was a good paying job because of backbiting and poor standards. At the time comments such as
He's a fool
Friggin idiot
Has he gone mad ?
Then 2 years later no longer working shifts no longer getting grief no longer having to put up with egos the only comment I got was
Aye well you were lucky

So here's the deal you can run a business part time along side your PAYE job as long as you declare it to HMRC plus no need to tell the gaffer and see how it goes luck has nothing to do with it you make your own when you start up a business

I was told the same when I went SE. you never know until you try and you will never make enough money working for someone. Best to do it sooner than later I think as you have less to lose in my opinion :)

Danielson 39. If I were you I'd check your employment contract to ensure that there is no clause that prevents you from '' moonlighting ". If there is you could be putting yourself at risk.

If there is it can't be enforced as it counts as restrictive practice. There have been a number of cases where employers tried to enforce the clause and it was thrown out.

If you have a Google there's quite a bit of legal info on the subject.

Danieleson, If I was you I would leave the Gaffer you have right now and start on your own . On one condition, you have enough work yto keep you afloat. If not stay where you are a do home jobs on the side like everybody else does when they get the chance.

Sounds like he's not paying the proper rate to his sparks or you wouldn't be looking to jump ship.

Better just to keep it shy and see how it goes.

Reply to A question to you gaffers out there? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net