Discuss Able Skills in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

claret73

Hi
Any feedback or inside info on these guys?
I'm considering doing my Level 3 intensely...losing the will to live with nightschool. Looks like I could do weekends & get it done & dusted before next year starts.
Cheers

I went to them and can recommend them they actually care and even now having finished my course paid my dues unlike some who would wash their hands of you these people if I phone in with a problem they will help.

Turn up without an appoitment and ask to be shown around as they dont hide anything you will get the tour and advice before you part with your money

Chris

No Jono
Just wish I could find some Tutors that take an interest in your learning...the fact that the course is done over a shorter period of time is a bonus! & Yes! I know it's expensive, but if they deilver value for money then it'd be a world apart from nightschool...
I'm going to take a look & see from there

I've been using OLCI in Basildon, 2330 Lvl2 (completed March), 2330 Lvl3 should complete in June. then I'll be aimimg for the NVQ3 and fitting in the 17th and 2391.

The whole lot is not cheap, £6K+ but it will be this year!

Rince

Rincewinds

Are you saying you will finish the whole lot in a year? 2330L2,L3,17th and 2391?
Is there a way of doing the NVQ3 if you are not employed in the industry

Yes, but it suits my situation. Un-employed!

I received the Lvl2 course 2nd week of Jan, read the course work, returned the assessments, and was able to book the workshops at my nearest OLCI. (Basildon).

16 - 20 Feb, BEC + UP1 + 201 & 202 GOLA's =5 days (BEC is optional)
23 - 25 Feb, UP2 pt1 + 203 GOLA = 3 days
2 - 4 Mar, UP2 pt2 + 204 GOLA = 3 days
9 - 10 Mar, UP3 + UP4 Assessments = 2 days.

Lvl 2 done :D

Lvl 3
Already had the 1st unit, completed that received Units 2 & 3 returned them completed, and was able to book the workshops.
I could have gone to a different centre, but because I felt 'comfortable' at Basildon (weird, I know!) I had to wait for their dates...

18 - 19 May, UP10 + 301 GOLA = 2 days
20 - 21 May, UP 11 = 2 days
28 - 29 May, UP 12 = 2 days
18 - 19 Jun, UP 13 + written paper = 2 days
20 - 21 Jun, UP 14 + written paper = 2 days

So I 've got my UP 12 next week ;)

2832-10 is a 1 day revision and assessment
2391-10 is a 1 day practical and assessment and 1 day Revision and Theory

After 2330 Lvl 3 there is a 1 day NVQ3 (2356) for setting up your logs for 301 - 308, as part of the deal for the course I get the 'as many inspection as needed' thrown in.
OLCI also try to place you in a company for you to do the required jobs for inspection.
When the course was sold to me I was told that they will place me in a local company for me to do the jobs required for assessment, that may have been a bit ambitious on their part as I've heard form other students that they will 'try' to place you ....
I'll have to wait and see what happens...

Also, a little gripe about OLCI, @ £6K+ you'd have thought they would supply the OSG and the big red one, but no, I had to go to Amazon:(

As I say, it suits my situation. Most of the students are in full-time work and are spreading their courses over 2 years.
I've been doing electrical maintenace for 17 years, so a lot of the coursework, workshops and theory was already in my old head ;)
I did find a link in here somewhere for a free revision site for the GOLA's... can't find it, but you can google 'swindon-massive'
I would say that I definitely wouldn't have got Distinctions on all my GOLA's without it!

As for Able Skills, I can't really comment as I've no experience of them, but I have heard that their plumbing courses are good:p

Rince

That's great if you can do it in that short time.I wish I had £6k to do it in a year-or is it less 6 months?I'm on L3 at Chelmsford doing night classes.The only plus is that I get the course near enough free because it's funded if you're on the Dole,the bad thing is it takes 3 years part time:( and don't really want to spend another year there whilst being skint

Last edited by a moderator:
Ta, Lennytheloon :)

@Noom, I thought about doing the college route, via evening classes. I did my HNC (Mechatronics) that way (2 years) and imho it made it soooo much harder that way.
As for the money? I've blown 17 years redundancy on these courses, I'm going to make d*mn sure I pass each stage as it comes...

I have started looking for work, but I'll only take something that suits me, and I am skint too:(

Rince

Reply to Able Skills in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net