Discuss ACA in cambuslang queries in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm about to sit my aca and was wondering if anyone could tell me if you need to do a full sequence of tests or do they pick what tests they want you to do?
Also does anyone know the model of tester they give you to use?

What does that mean in English
It's the Advanced Competence Assessment which is the assessment in Scotland to become an Approved Electrician.
When I did my training you did the Final Integrated Competence Assessment at the end of your apprenticeship then with at least a further two years experience, along with some further training, you were eligible to sit the ACA.
I think Scotland still has a much more traditional route to training electricians.

Hi Scott
When I did mine, which is around 10 years ago now, I think we had to carry out a full range of tests. I think there was also a range of testers to chose from but I can't be sure about that. Maybe give them a call and ask. They went to a lot of effort to help you feel at ease and not get too uptight, hopefully it is still the same.

I don't know about more traditional. I think we all have to grapple with the same things to become an electrician. Testing, fault finding, basic science theory and so on. Nothing much has changed regards electricity. I am sure it is the same north of the border. Thanks anyway for the update on what it means.

I don't know about more traditional. I think we all have to grapple with the same things to become an electrician. Testing, fault finding, basic science theory and so on. Nothing much has changed regards electricity. I am sure it is the same north of the border. Thanks anyway for the update on what it means.
What I meant by the more traditional route is that the apprenticeship is still the main way to become qualified, there aren't the short cuts or short courses available as there are elsewhere. There is no such thing as a domestic installer up here for example. Apart from that, yes I think electricity is much the same up here!

Yes, I can confirm that electricity up here in Scotland is much the same!
It comes out of a socket, and it can heat you, light you and kill you!
(Unless you're a haggis, of course...best insulator known to mankind)

Reply to ACA in cambuslang queries in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net