Discuss Advice for someone starting out. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mlan

Hi,

I found these forums through finding a few threads similar to what I want to ask, so first of all apologies if this is all repeated elsewhere, but there were a few things I wanted to ask that I couldn't find covered in those previous posts.

Firstly, as yet I have no qualifications, and I have a fairly successful self-employed career in an unrelated field of work. However, I'm increasingly conscious of the fact that no one above 40ish works in the industry, apart from the few that own companies. And I will never have the money to start my own company in my current industry, so whilst I could have another 10 years of work no problem I know I need to think about a better prospect for the future. I'm quite practical, and a trade I think would be the right way for me to go, and being an electrician is the most appealing to me.

I don't want to be an under-qualified 'cowboy', and suspect that the many (expensive!) short courses available send out people who don't necessarily have all the skills and experience needed. Is that right? What do you think of them? I'm sure the experience gained from an apprenticeship is the ideal, but I think realistically I'm too old to do this!

The course I've been thinking about is provided by Access Training UK, as it is City and Guilds certified and apparently very flexible around commitments to work, etc. Anyone heard of them, know anything good or bad? Any other training people would recommend? I'm based in Bristol, so local to me or nationally run courses would be best.

And lastly, what costs, etc should I be prepared for in addition to training? Tools, materials, that sort of thing?

I don't expect to jump in straight away, and if at all possible would like to transition from what I currently do into this new direction. I've seen how helpful and friendly these forums have been to others in similar situations to me, and find it very encouraging, and look forward to your responses. Sorry this has got a bit long, I've tried to be thorough about my situation but if any more information would help, or if I've missed any obvious (or not obvious!) questions then please do say.

Many thanks!

Hi. You seem to have time on your side - not needing to rush into getting qualified. You have hit the frequent dilemma of many - how to enter electrical trade as a mature entrant.
Have you looked in the forum that gives feedback on course providers?
Is night college an option for you? If so have you looked at local FE colleges night classes?
It depends what your aspirations are in electrical trade /what you need to live on/finances etc.
The short courses may be a means to an end but be very careful & research widely re cost setup etc. Visit before parting with cash & fine tune your Bull****Alert.
Consider FE courses but also how you would progress after paper quals to get experience - not easy.
I had your dilemma at 50yrs old. I am Domestic Installer (puts tin hat on!) but didn't do courses with single provider or all at once.
In my experience since, not all DIs are crap & not all time served sparks do things right. Much depends on pride of the installer.
Get your thinking cap on, research all possible routes. Good luck. :)

Speak to your local college about becoming an adult learner. There will be night courses for you to do and this will be the correct way of doing it probably over a 3 year period. In the mean time get advertising yourself as a electricians mate and try to steer clear of anything domestic as its on its knees.

In my experience since, not all DIs are crap & not all time served sparks do things right.

Maybe, but you can count them All on one hand!! lol!!:wacko:
As for the rough time served sparks, they have always been around, and mainly come from serving their time with equally rough/bad Employers that have also always been around!!

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience since, not all DIs are crap & not all time served sparks do things right.

Maybe, but you can count them All on one hand!! lol!!:wacko:
As for the rough time served sparks, they have always been around, and mainly come from serving their time with equally rough/bad Employers that have also always been around!!

I certainly won't argue with the second half of that! Must be bad if I know better ! LOL

Honest advice mate?Do something else.If you are thinking of working on site all firms want their pound of flesh or price work where its all hands to the pump both of them are a young mans game.Domestic is finished due to the influx of the DI.Everyone i speak to now say sparkings a mugs game.I have got qualifications and tickets for everything coming out of my ears,have 31 years experience and a vast network of contacts and i find it hard to get continual well paid work,i wold love to get out of it

If you have time on your hands go to nightschool and study to be an accountant or something where you get well treated and well paid not down in the filth of the dog eat dog world of subbying

Honest advice mate?Do something else.If you are thinking of working on site all firms want their pound of flesh or price work where its all hands to the pump both of them are a young mans game.Domestic is finished due to the influx of the DI.Everyone i speak to now say sparkings a mugs game.I have got qualifications and tickets for everything coming out of my ears,have 31 years experience and a vast network of contacts and i find it hard to get continual well paid work,i wold love to get out of it

If you have time on your hands go to nightschool and study to be an accountant or something where you get well treated and well paid not down in the filth of the dog eat dog world of subbying
what's the DI?

well you're not gonna become an apprentice that's for sure.study yourself, that's what i did.get the regs and as many other books about wiring as you can as the regs are a slog and difficult to interpret sometimes.u can apply to sit the exams without any course, but depends how well you understand what you've learnt

Reply to Advice for someone starting out. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net