Discuss Advice please.... no cpc on lights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening All....

Just been to look at job, CU upgrade and submain... which is still in rubber :eek:

But lights have got no cpc, metal fittings everywhere, old style round light switches:confused:

Customer wants to keep cost down, as usual... so wasn't sure where I stand. Idealy rewire all the lights and put new switches in.

Or is there an alternative, can all the fittings be changed to class2 and can original switches stay, got my doubts but sure I have read soemthing about thisi before?

Many Thanks,

Sy:)

Sy you mention Rubber ,needs rewiring ,if its got round light switches it could date back to the late 40's early 50's ,60/70 years old ,rubber of that age can suddenly deteriorate if it hasnt already ,especially if you are doing rewiring any slight movement of the cables can crack the insulation ,you have to cover your self on this one ,Rewire or walk away check the wire you self bend it slightly see if you can here it crack dont mean to be negative but its your name on the cert:( forgot to mention the old style bakalite round switches have a wooden patress plate which the wire go through these cannot be used as they propose a fire risk , the connection space is so tight too

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks chaps...

For some reason everything else in twin and earth (apart from lights just twin) and it was just the submain in rubber supplying the cu. So this is the first thing to be done no problem there:)

Back to the lights.... had a quick read of best practice guide.... looks like as long as all RCD protected and IR readings ok then it all can stay apart from any in special locations or that have a conductive floor then these need to be changed to class2, and also have to put a warning notice on the cu. Does that sound right ?

Even so there are a couple of chandliers dotted around that can easily be touched, so not happy to leave with no cpc? Might insist on being change to class 2 or alternatively see if I can run a supplementary bond to them.

phew though it was the whole installation ,if you got class 1 lights they must be earth easyest way is to run a 4mm single to each of the lights and as you have said lable the board and note all on the cert if possible run the single earth with the rest of the cables in the lift under floor might be an idea to lable the earths to for what circuit the serve if not it may be easier to rewire it , double check some of these 2 cores may have cut off earths bet you got the old 3 core there 2 blue white and red

Last edited by a moderator:
If certifying an installation without any cpcs in the lights I will always insist on class II throughout.

My niceic di inspection was a consumer unit change which had no cpc on lighting. I followed the best practice guide to the letter and flew through the inspection.

I take it the lights are wired in VIR if so is it wired in conduit cos me thinks this is the case as the light switches are round so to fit on the UV box (round conduit box)

I was in the same situation and told the customer his system was not fit to connect to the new type boards yes I lost the job but then again no hassle

Reply to Advice please.... no cpc on lights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net