Discuss Advice please! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Aspire

Hello everyone, so I am 20 and have worked for my dads small building business since I was 16 whilst I was still in education. I got B's and C's in my GCSE's and when I went to apply at college for the electrotechnical course they were surprised to see someone with 10 GCSES under their name :S lol? Anyway. started when I was 17 and have completed the level 2 and 3 And 17th edition City and guilds only to realize i'm not going ANYWHERE with what the college has taught me and due to problems at work the 'electrician' (no English qualification) has decided he doesn't want to help me and is instead guiding his nephew who works on site. Dad doesn't care so I have decided to take things into my own hands. My neighbor who is one of the site managers has influence to get me an Apprentice ship at a company in London called HANOVER electrical...not sure if any of you know it....My question is, is there some kind of advanced apprenticeship scheme I can do rather then doing 3 years to REPEAT my qualifications that I have already gained?! I'm definitely not like the majority of the wannabe sparkies who were either, not very 'bright' or had just left school and decided to do something rather then nothing after.... Would I still need to do the full 3 years? Im extremely excited and grateful for the opportunity to work at such a great company but I don't think I'd be able to sustain myself on apprenticeship wage for 3 years in London?!?

ask them to take you on as an improver. better wages. and a big finger to your dads, if he puts foreigners before you.

your next step is 2394/5. try to find an employer who will put you through this while working.

Was in the exact same situation. Finished level 2 and was half way through level 3 (full time). Got an apprenticeship and they wanted me to start from scratch JTL

Ended up not going through JTL as the company usually did and stayed where I was just converted to part time level 3 which was still 18 months. Just try and speak to the man in the big leather chair and your college

A mate would be the way to go, but it depends on who takes you on and where they see your training has taken you, but I would go with the other company, if your own dad can't help you then try a new one

A mate would be the way to go, but it depends on who takes you on and where they see your training has taken you, but I would go with the other company, if your own dad can't help you then try a new one
The one thing my dad has done is introduce me to someone who has got me a job for AT LEAST (depends on how well I do) a job as an electricians mate starting Monday. its a small company maybe 2-5 people. But im reaaaaally interested in this company HANOVER as im wondering if it can offer me much more knowledge then a small electrical company?

Reply to Advice please! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net