Discuss Another EICR coding question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yesterday's EICR. The cut out and meter are in a damp cellar, and are fixed to a chipboard board on the wall. The chipboard has slowly rotted over the years, you now can push a pencil through it in places. The rather rusty fixings have pulled through it, so the board and everything fixed to it are kind of suspended by the cables now. TN-S, old fabric covered incoming cable.

What code? C2 I would say, but am interested to hear your thoughts.

Also: How to rectify? Whose responsibility is this? I can see this being a headache getting the DNO and/or supplier to sort this.

Yesterday's EICR. The cut out and meter are in a damp cellar, and are fixed to a chipboard board on the wall. The chipboard has slowly rotted over the years, you now can push a pencil through it in places. The rather rusty fixings have pulled through it, so the board and everything fixed to it are kind of suspended by the cables now. TN-S, old fabric covered incoming cable.

What code? C2 I would say, but am interested to hear your thoughts.

Also: How to rectify? Whose responsibility is this? I can see this being a headache getting the DNO and/or supplier to sort this.
I have had similar in last few weeks and called the local network supplier out to be sure, the cable wasnt supported at all after it came in the cellar just laid on the brick work and corroded badly in my opinion. they came out kicked it few times and said its fine its just the outer thats rotten! they re terminated it into the 3 phase cut out and left.

Never mind your C2 for EICR, that is a category A code for the DNO if it is suspended by the cable. Give them a call and report it.
Exactly my thinking while trying to decide on a code the call to the DNO could have been made. Had this sort of problem repaired by the DNO before I have finished the EICR on some occasions.
Why do some electricians have a total fear of calling the DNO

Exactly my thinking while trying to decide on a code the call to the DNO could have been made. Had this sort of problem repaired by the DNO before I have finished the EICR on some occasions.
Why do some electricians have a total fear of calling the DNO
Thanks for the comment @UNG .

Generally when carrying out an EICR, I make a note of non compliances, test results and other observations as I inspect and test the installation. In the evening, I fill in the paperwork, argue with myself about coding, and consider remedial works. I do not (unless instructed to by the client, on the understanding that any work is chargeable) carry out anything other than the briefest of remedial work as I carry out the inspection.

Phoning the DNO is time out of my day, and comes under chargeable remedial work. My own experience of phoning my DNO (Western Power) differs greatly from what you suggest. The call (regarding a missing earth) took the best part of an hour, and then there were follow up emails afterwards. If you're happy to put this time in for free, then that's great - I could use a charitable soul such as yourself. I'll forward the details to you, and you can put the call in for me while I go earn some money.

Alternatively, if you have a suggestion on what code you would give this, so that I can complete the EICR for my client, so they can then decide what they would like to do about it, that would be awesome too.

Reply to Another EICR coding question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net