Discuss Another 'What's the best tester?' thread in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Adam W

I'm looking at buying a Steinel-type tester.
Everyone seems to go for the Fluke T5-1000, but why? It has an ammeter which I can't imagine I'll use very often, and it works as a kind of clamp meter, which again I can't see myself using.
All I really want it for is as a voltage tester and bellset, so I was looking at the Steinel 1.2, which is about half the price and you can't put it on the wrong setting, which I was taught was imperative for safe isolation.

Do you use the T5? If so what's so great about it? Do you use the current measuring facility, and do you find you really need to know the exact voltage without getting the MFT out?
Do you use a different brand such as Steinel, Megger or DiLog? If so what made you choose it and what do you think of it?

I have a Steinel, and I also have a T110. They both do exactly the same job, although the T110 has some design tweaks that make it more practical for domestic work IMO.

If you want to measure current, by a decent clamp meter.

The T110 seems to have a few more features than the Steinel, such as the ability to intentionally trip an RCD, and a flashlight. Would you say these are the features which make it more suitable for domestic work? Does this mean the Steinel is better for commercial work?
IIRC the Steinel tests phase rotation - does the T110 do this, and does it have a self-test facility or do you have to fork out for a proving unit?

OK -
both have a light. But if you want a light, buy a head torch.
both have phase rotation
both have continuity
both go 'beep' as well as light. The 110 has a mute button.
both have single probe detection (so just one probe making contact will sound a warning if live)
both have a ladder light system from 12V to 690V

The 110 has a self prove function
The 110 has load buttons which will trigger an RCD
The 110 probes are designed to sit exactly the right width apart to slide into a 13A socket L & N
The 110 probe cover has a prong on it to slide into the E on a socket to enable ^ to happen.

Can't think of anything else.

Last edited:
I have an old Steinel tester,ladder light system,which i was given by a street lighting operative,many years ago. They were issued to them,and proved to be very tough. I must admit,i keep it for no other reason than Mr.Benn collected the things he had (older members child programme related reference) I drag it out partly to hark back to simpler times,and partly because it just works! ...and its' little self test cheers me up:willy_nilly:

Right, I've gone and got myself a Fluke T110. Cost me ÂŁ56 with a Leaderman case.
So far so good, although the probes seem a bit unwieldy.

I prefer a volt tester to display the voltage it's measuring rather than light up a series of LED's!!

I have collected several volt testers over the years including the old Square D solenoid model that pulled a marker down along a voltage referenced scale.... as well as various Martindale's and Drummonds test lamps....

I've had the Fluke 117 for 3 years now and it's been good (I love the stand on the back so it can stand up by itself), Nice and small compared to the bigger 1000V Fluke's of the same range/style.

That being said, it is a bit more expencive...The Steinel 1.2 doesn't really look that good to me, I'd go for the T5 between the two.

I use the ethos with the actual display because it tells you the exact voltage on the scale not just a neon next to a number, it is good for continuity as well and comes in a professional case.

I prefer a volt tester to display the voltage it's measuring rather than light up a series of LED's!!
Any particular reason other than just personal preference? The ladder lamps are going to tell you if you've got a dangerous voltage, ie if a circuit is live, which IMO is as much information as you need - if I were testing voltage for the purposes of a certificate I'd use a MFT.
In either case a ladder of LEDs gives you more information than a John Drummond lamp.

Over the years, I have had at some stage most of the "testers" out there.
For me, the T5 was and is one of the best devices ever invented for an electrician. Would not be without one and I find the "open jaw" ammeter brilliant.
Only slight gripe I have is, if you push too hard on the leads when in the holder, it's a pain to release them.
I guess it's what you get used to, but I wouldn't dream of using one of those ladder light yokes.

I'm looking at buying a Steinel-type tester.
Everyone seems to go for the Fluke T5-1000, but why? It has an ammeter which I can't imagine I'll use very often, and it works as a kind of clamp meter, which again I can't see myself using.
All I really want it for is as a voltage tester and bellset, so I was looking at the Steinel 1.2, which is about half the price and you can't put it on the wrong setting, which I was taught was imperative for safe isolation.

Do you use the T5? If so what's so great about it? Do you use the current measuring facility, and do you find you really need to know the exact voltage without getting the MFT out?
Do you use a different brand such as Steinel, Megger or DiLog? If so what made you choose it and what do you think of it?

Megger dcm 340, very good IMO clamp meter.

Reply to Another 'What's the best tester?' thread in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net