Discuss Ansell auto test emergency exit signs problem Model AENLED/3M/W/ST in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was called to a hall where 6 Ansell maintained exit signs were all dead. They were installed 4 yrs ago. The one that I checked had mains live was connected to L andL1 and the battery was flat; this should light a red led to indicate a faulty battery but nothing showing. There is a reset button which had no effect. There is a waveform on the primary of the switch mode power supply but nothing on the secondary.
Surely all 6 couldn't be faulty so I was wondering if there was something that I am missing. Has anyone had similar symptoms, is there an inherent fault with this model? I would be interested to know, Ansell Technical were ho help.

Replace the battery pack and see if it comes back to life.

I was called to a hall where 6 Ansell maintained exit signs were all dead. They were installed 4 yrs ago. The one that I checked had mains live was connected to L andL1 and the battery was flat; this should light a red led to indicate a faulty battery but nothing showing. There is a reset button which had no effect. There is a waveform on the primary of the switch mode power supply but nothing on the secondary.
Surely all 6 couldn't be faulty so I was wondering if there was something that I am missing. Has anyone had similar symptoms, is there an inherent fault with this model? I would be interested to know, Ansell Technical were ho help.
hey...
the red LED charging light is supposed to be lit permanently to show that there is a trickle charge to the battery if the light is out it will be one of three things,its either no mains faulty charger or faulty battery considering that they are maintained fittings and on all the time they have prob cooked,ive found the best manufacture are orbik hope this helps dude

Should a fault occur then the following can be observed:  If there is a failure of the battery such that it becomes disconnected then there will be a continuous red LED.  If the system fails the 10minute / 3 hour duration test then the red LED will flash slowly  If the lamp / LED’s fail the red LED will flash quickly.
Using the “reset” button you can press for 1 second and you can reset the random testing or press for 3 seconds to simulate a 5 minute emergency test. During the emergency testing the luminaire will test the following:  The battery connection  Emergency operation time  Lamp / LED operation

It is possible someone put them in test and left them off however with the mains supply on you would expect them to illuminate. Not a fan of Ansell they are very unreliable but you could probably argue that for most brands, with the advent of LED technology nothing is what is was in terms of reliability.

If they are maintained it surely means they are supplied by a switched (and permanent) live but you mention a mains live which suggests it was a permanent(?) live. If it were in fact a switched live and was regularly switched off it would account for no charge in the batteries or at least an inadequate charge. It could easily be no one ever bothered switching them on. If it was a permanent live then the leds would be on all the time and the batteries would be fully charged. Needs clarifying as to whether it was a switched or permanent live. But either way they should have been supplied with both. Ansell em, led have a remote operation and a receiver which looks reddish, and as far as I know a green led in normal mode/operation with charging circuit working.

Reply to Ansell auto test emergency exit signs problem Model AENLED/3M/W/ST in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net