Discuss Anyone got Wiha Torque screwdriver in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

As per title has anyone got a wiha torque screwdriver?

Yes, I have a Wiha set (torque handle, adjuster, various bits).

One criticism is I find the very small print of the torque setting hard to read, especially in low light.

i'd like to put one to good use in paul m's arse for that wind-up.

don't trust them a s far as i can throw 'em. torque up 25mm tails as per manufacturers settings, then give ' em a wriggle. they'll either come out or you can the give te screws at least a 1/2 turn to secure.

don't trust them as far as i can throw 'em. torque up 25mm tails as per manufacturers settings, then give ' em a wriggle. they'll either come out or you can the give te screws at least a 1/2 turn to secure.

With cable such as 25mm tails, whatever you use to tighten up the connections, leave them a while and often you can tighten them some more, as I guess the strands move/settle. I typically tighten these, and a bit later check/retighten.

Does it get much use, or is it really for arse-covering purposes?

For day to day work I would have to say no , we hardly ever use our ones .
But when it comes to larger supply's and multiple dis board installs , then it is worth the effort of getting it out and setting it up to the correct values .
I know that it sort of defeat's the point in having one and not using it all of the time , but to be honest I have mixed feeling's about relying on these and prefer to trust the experience and ability of the man doing the job , with the use of these as a belt and braces approach on the larger loads .

We use the Wera 1/4 inch hex type in 3 different torque ranges in our workshop. They're in constant use 5 days each week on the panel building benches and they last pretty well. We had 2 fail calibration recently and they were 3-4 years old which is pretty good going for the amount of use they get.

I think that termination technique is at least as important as torque.

For example, I have been in the habit of 'untwisting' the strands of some larger cables (tails) when terminating as I reasoned that the strands could then move freely to take up a minimum space in the terminal and be less prone to loosening.

There was a report about this a couple of years ago:
http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100015987/Switched-On-24.pdf
See pages 14 and 15.

The original experimental report is here:
http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100013801/Meter-Tail-Investigation-Report.pdf

I think that untwisting rather than 'flattening' is what matters. The group of strands will take up the shape of the terminal when tightened.

The technique is probably not of any use for small cables with fine strands in some large direct screw terminals, as the strands will just displace up the sides of the screw.

I think that termination technique is at least as important as torque.

For example, I have been in the habit of 'untwisting' the strands of some larger cables (tails) when terminating as I reasoned that the strands could then move freely to take up a minimum space in the terminal and be less prone to loosening.

There was a report about this a couple of years ago:
http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100015987/Switched-On-24.pdf
See pages 14 and 15.

The original experimental report is here:
http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100013801/Meter-Tail-Investigation-Report.pdf

I think that untwisting rather than 'flattening' is what matters. The group of strands will take up the shape of the terminal when tightened.

The technique is probably not of any use for small cables with fine strands in some large direct screw terminals, as the strands will just displace up the sides of the screw.
to be fair on tri-rated etc we would just use ferrules.

personally i would always use ferrules on stranded unless its a cage clamp type termination

Unless torquing to a high setting with a T-bar or similar or torquing to a low level to prevent shearing I find little use for a torque screwdriver. I've always found torqueing to 'hand tight' to be pretty useless as this is easily judged by feel.

I have that one. Personally I don't go with the settings that the manufacturers say because for example if you tighten a screw up on the earth or neutral bar, say it's on 1.0mm cable then it just breaks the conductor so how are you supposed to do it eh. I personally think you are better using your own judgement, like I say if you do as per the manufacturers instructions it with break the conductors.

Work issued me one and it's handy to have. It saves you wrenching the mcbs and causing them damage and it also saves fatigue on your hands by needlessly over tightening. The kits really good and easy to setup. Just watch 1mm connection as they might snap due to torque setting.

Reply to Anyone got Wiha Torque screwdriver in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net