Discuss apprentice? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markehspark

hi every1

how qualified do u have to be to start your own business, I'm currently in third year of my apprenticeship and i'm due to sit my trade test this may

I've read just about everything i can and i'd like to tell the HMR&C i'm goin self employed and begin making some extra cash, would this be against the law
obv i wouldnt be leaving the company i work for just now untill i finished my apprenticeship and was making enough money to do so

thanks alot ..mark

Hi and welcome to the forum:DWhat type of work do you want to do mate.
Part P to Building Regulations - The IET

hi mac thanks very much
i currently work for a large electrical contractor in Glasgow and would love to start up my own business, obv jumping straight into what i currently to in work would be impossible so house re-wires, alterations and board change over's would be great to start with, the only problem that i can see is signing off the test cert allthough i have been doing alot of it (testing) since the start of my apprenticship so i find it easy

thanks for your help m8

hi mac thanks very much
i currently work for a large electrical contractor in Glasgow and would love to start up my own business, obv jumping straight into what i currently to in work would be impossible so house re-wires, alterations and board change over's would be great to start with, the only problem that i can see is signing off the test cert allthough i have been doing alot of it (testing) since the start of my apprenticship so i find it easy

thanks for your help m8
If you live in Scotland,Part P doesn't effect you,just covers England and Wales.I don't know much about the laws regarding electrics in Scotland.Scotsparky should be able to put you right thou mate.

hi Mark

as mac said part p doesnt apply up here. You said your not out your time yet? As for working yourself while an apprentice dont you are leaving yourself wide open to prosecution as the client can claim your not fully trained. what company you working for at moment?
My advice to you isnt to go self emplyed yet! get about 5 years experiance under your belt with a housing rewire reapir company as well as 2391-01,2382
The jump from industrial/commertial is a culture shock and there are various regs you have to watch out for when doing houses.

Try and get in with City builders,GHA,Conaught,Mitie they do a lot of housing work it will give you experiance as well as some backup if your stuck

Last edited:
hi Mark

as mac said part p doesnt apply up here. You said your not out your time yet? As for working yourself while an apprentice dont you are leaving yourself wide open to prosecution as the client can claim your not fully trained. what company you working for at moment?
My advice to you isnt to go self employed yet! get about 5 years experiance under your belt with a housing rewire repair company as well as 2391-01,2382
The jump from industrial/commercial is a culture shock and there are various regs you have to watch out for when doing houses.

Try and get in with City builders,GHA,Conaught,Mitie they do a lot of housing work it will give you experiance as well as some backup if your stuck

ok thanks, GHA and city have worked in my house and there quality of work compared to industrial was shocking

would my best bet then be to wait till i sit my trade test then apply to these companys telling them i'm looking for experience to start my own business or should i keep this quiet?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can stay with Arthur Mckays for about a year then apply tho companys looking for experiance But DONT TELL THEM YOU WANT TO SET UP YOURSELF!!! there not going to take someone on who in a few years will be compitition

have Mckays got any vacancies??

If you can stay with Arthur Mckays for about a year then apply tho companys looking for experiance But DONT TELL THEM YOU WANT TO SET UP YOURSELF!!! there not going to take someone on who in a few years will be compitition

have Mckays got any vacancies??

sorry m8 layoffs happening most weeks 1 or 2 weeks at a time no overtime at all hence the startin own business, only bonus is there about the only company trying to keep all there employees, no ones been paid off and there sayin no1 will be, who do u work for do u stay in glasgow

Reply to apprentice? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net