Discuss Audit of EICR’s from contractors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

newfutile

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have been asked by my company to audit random EICR,s from our contractors .
This is to consist of reviewing the report and an hour on the site (tenant occupied).
so far i have thought to conduct a ZE (Zdb) ring testing,RCD, and random ZS on some circuits.
im not sure IR would be fair as i wont have time to disconnect everything.

does anybody have any ideas or opinions on how to test and compare while making it fair but to stop any possible drive by types?

Ze and a some random Zs testing will give you a fair idea of the validity of the original Eicr

r1 r2 rn on the rings will also be interesting to compare

This is something I did a lot!

Tbh most of the time I didn't even go to site, just like many of the examples we see raised on this forum, just looking at the documentation shows it's complete rubbish. The most egregious is the sort of "c1 fusebox in plastic, must be replaced £5k to fix" type thing.

When I did go to site to check (paperwork is OK, but have my suspicions) then most of the time it would be visual which almost always is sufficient to identify the invalidity of the report.

Occasionally, yes I would actually get a screwdriver or even a tester out to check things, but in these cases the actual tests would be specific to the concerns I have with the report (eg a rfc where the R1+R2 does not follow from the r1+r2 values, or circuits with unusually high or low values)

Only a couple of times did I actually do what might be called a full examination, which in each case I did everything! - these being used in court to demonstrate just how poorly/fraudulent the so called reports were.

It really depends on what you are being asked to do, in my case most of the time it was a sanity check on the codes applied (is red/black cables really a c1? Etc) [OK may be a bit of an exaggeration], in others just to confirm if the supplier is doing a proper job.

In both these cases it is usually very easy to see it is wrong, at which point once you can Identify/demonstrate its clearly wrong, it's not worth continuing, unless of course you are going to follow a legal course of action

As above... in many cases the paperwork is the giveaway . Its all copied and pasted . Then normally within 20 mins and a few questions to the tenant .Its obvious if it was a "drive by " EICR .

If you get 10 EICR by the same person on the same date you know something is wrong. As to testing even between different MFT I have had there are variances at sub 1 ohm that while complying amount to diddlysquat in accuracy terms as parts of an ohm measured with an MFT is just variable by type of MFT alone. I wonder what happened to the QS then, asleep on the job? If you find something inconsistent then you investigate further just like EICR really.

Last edited:
As above start with a good look at the paperwork and talk to the tenant.
A lot of dodgy reports can be spotted from just the paperwork, and finding out how long they were there and if they even turned the power off will give some clues.

If any test results on the report look suspicious then they are the ones to check.

Reply to Audit of EICR’s from contractors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net