Search the forum,

Discuss auto electrical conversion in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mrstefan

Guys and Girls just a general question.
I wish to buy a delivery van or a tarago and have it outfitted a a small campervan RV. Just a diesel or 4 cylinder petrol and wish to know. If I change the alternator and associated equipment what is the maximum output in watts that can be generated with the handbrake on and the gear in neutral with a high idle. Could I run a 900 watt microwave and the fridge and a hot water element. What is the peak output in watts and what is the normal output. I have also red somewhere that 1 horsepower is equal to around 492 watts. Is this even remotely true?
Thanks in advance.

typical alternator around 50A 12dc output, more for bigger ones on trucks or vans.
not sure about australia, whole different world up there!
worth visiting your local auto electrics garage or dig up some rating plate on your actual alternator, you will know bit more.
you will need an inverter for running the microwave, lets say 1000w 1000/12 = 82amps peak load.
if its a truck with 24v system then 24v alternator and half the amps.
you may need additional wiring with cables installed to handle that current.

Use a split charger and charge up leisure batterys (deep cycle) then if the invertor is rated enough you will be able to use the microwave and other high loads for the short duration they are required.
If fitting a heavy duty alternator remember that the drive system limits the power the standard 3/8 vee belt can handle up to 75A depending on the pulley sizes
the 1/2 vee belt up to around 100A depending on pulley sizes
and duplex or serpentine belts for anything above that.

Reply to auto electrical conversion in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net