Discuss >>>>> !!Bane and tony.towa's Cookbook Central!! <<<<< Daily in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Because Mr.Rumrunner, as from today, I am officially on the dole :(

Got laid off a month ago (3 days before my hols) and as of yet have had no luck finding anything else :(

Yourself?

Because Mr.Rumrunner, as from today, I am officially on the dole :(

Got laid off a month ago (3 days before my hols) and as of yet have had no luck finding anything else :(

Yourself?
Oh thats not good news mate,ive just done a wee job so im resting,i only work part time now anyway ,how far are you prepared to travel and would you stay away from home?

Staying away from home is not a problem Mr.Rumrunner. As for how far I'm prepared to travel, I don't really know, depends what's on offer I suppose.

Where are you based Rum?

im based on the south coast(portsmouth) ,but i know some sparks who work up in london ,industrial work only though,im thinking of getting a job up there to get a few quid out of the olympic fund,ill ask if anyone knows of anything going anyware else,we cant have a respected member of the forum out of work long,just dont get dispondant ,oh and have you got a driving licence?

Portsmouth! A good distance from me (Hull/York area).
As for industrial work, that's all I've done, never done domestic.
Have drivers licence, own transport, vehicle, tools, PPE, CSCS card.
Must have sent out 100 CV's, e-mails and covering letters since been laid off but all saying the same unfortunately.
Start college next week, 1 day a week (mondays) for me 2330 and that's about it really Rum.
Something will come up sooner or later I'm sure. Just gotta keep on trucking!

youre better staying where you are if youre going to collage,i dont know much about the work situation in your neck of the woods ,but if its industrial work you want ,try the JIB employment pool,you used to be able to ring up and they would tell you about all the vacancys in the area,also instead of sending out loads a cvs find a job you want and work out how you can get it ,then go and do it,try local builders ,plumbers ,etc,and tell them you need a day off each week for your course ,somone might help ,good luck and your right something will turn up ,chin up

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, I'll be posting some desserts tomorrow so any suggestions would be welcome.

Cakes, pastries, fruit salads, whatever.

Tell me what you'd like. Off out, see y'all tomorrow.

No problem, can't spell profiteroles anyway.

Seduction Surprise is up tomorrow as well as the family recipe for Welsh Cakes (to celebrate the return of Shakey)

Bane, you have surpassed yourself. The pheasant was fantastic. Had 2 each with new spuds and green beans from the garden. Mrs Doc now worried i will want her to cook them all the time.

Looking foward to the puds.

Will have to come back to you on that. Puddings require serious consideration.

Mrs Doc got a ice cream maker for her birthday and has not used it yet. We have a load of strawberry's and plumbs.

Must say, it will have to be good to put Bane back in the crap ranks:D

Great things plums!

Forget the usual plum crumble or pies, use some of them to give an Oriental feel to meat.

Plum Sauce

What you need

A tablespoon of vegetable oil
2 shallots (peeled and finely chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (crushed and finely chopped)
A pound of ripe plums (halved)
5 tablespoons of dry red wine
1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of light brown sugar
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of grated fresh root ginger
Salts and black pepper

What you do

Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the shallots and cook for about five minutes, until light brown. Add the garlic and plum halves, cook for a minute then mix in the red wine, brown sugar and vinegar.
Simmer for about ten minutes, sieve the mixture to a puree and take out the plum stones and skins. Stir in the soy sauce ginger and seasoning. Serve warm.

Ideal with steak, duck, chicken turkey.

The sauce can be kept in a fridge for twenty four hours or can be frozen and I've used it after a couple of months and it was fine.

Must say, it will have to be good to put Bane back in the crap ranks:D

YES! Elevated above uselessness.
*Punches the air*

Bane, you have surpassed yourself. The pheasant was fantastic. Had 2 each with new spuds and green beans from the garden. Mrs Doc now worried i will want her to cook them all the time.

Looking foward to the puds.

Glad you both enjoyed them! I think your the only one (other than Tony and I) who has tried these recipes of ours, Spark-Doctor :(

Oh, and as for the book Tony, I've already sorted out the copyright mate ;)

CHOCOLATE PROFITEROLES
Makes 12

You will need:

Butter for greasing
1 Egg (beaten)
1/2pint Whipping cream (whipped)
1 Qty Choux pastry (See below)

BASIC CHOUX PASTRY

You will need:

60g Butter
75g Plain flour
2 Eggs (beaten)

1) Put 60g butter, cut into cubes, into a heavy saucepan with 1/4 pint of water and heat until the butter melts. Bring to a boil.

2) Remove from the heat and add 75g sifted plain flour and a pinch of salt (if preferred). Stir vigorously until the mixture forms a soft ball.

3) Leave to cool slightly, then gradually add 2 lightly beaten eggs, beating well between each addition, to form a smooth, shiny, paste.

CHOCOLATE ICING

You will need:

150g Plain chocolate (chopped)
150ml (1/4 Pint) Double cream

1) Butter a baking tray and sprinkle with water. Put 12 TBSP of choux on the tray and brush with beaten egg. Bake in pre-heated oven at 220C (425F) for 10mins, then bake at 190C (375F) for 20mins. Split each profiterole in half and cool on a rack.

2) Make the chocolate icing. Gently melt the chocolate with the double cream in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring until smooth and shiny (don't let it get too hot!).

3) Sandwich the profiteroles together with the whipped cream, place on individual plates, drizzle with the chocolate icing.

Had to go to Dundee yesterday so Mrs Doc went to mothers. I am back now but having to fend for myself.

Have just tried the plumb sauce, banged a scotch bonnet in it to add a bit of kick and had it with a duck breast, it was great.

Only problem is, it was not as good as the pheasant, so Bane has not dropped back to the crap heap:D

Seduction Surprise

Here we go then, just the thing to make the lady in your life feel special and loving towards you. The meal is planned so that the desert can be made in advance and the starters take only a few minutes. The main course can be cooking while you have the starter.

Starter (Asparagus spears in melted butter)

What you need

Twelve fresh asparagus spears
Olive oil (not extra virgin)
Four ounces of butter

What you do

Break off the “woody” part of the asparagus; this is done by holding each end between the thumb and first finger of each hand and bending gently. The asparagus will snap where the soft part starts.
Drizzle some of the oil into a hot griddle pan and put the asparagus into it. Gently griddle the asparagus until it is just going soft, turning occasionally to prevent burning. Whilst doing this gently melt the butter in another pan.
Serve the asparagus on a plate with the melted butter poured over it.

Main Course (Chateaubriand with mustard béarnaise sauce and shoestring chips)

What you need

A Chateaubriand steak (your butcher will give you the right cut) weight about 600grams
One small shallot, finely chopped
Eight black peppercorns, lightly crushed
Two tablespoons of white wine vinegar
Quarter of a pint of white wine
Two tablespoons of chopped tarragon
Three beaten egg yolks
Two hundred grams of melted butter (cooled)
One teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
Five hundred grams of potatoes, cut into matchsticks
Vegetable oil

What you do

Turn on the oven set at 180C and switch on your deep fat frier. Drizzle a little of the oil into a griddle pan and allow it to heat until smoke just starts to come off the oil. Put the steak in the oil and allow it to sizzle, turn the steak over and sear it on the other side. You are not cooking the steak, purely sealing it. Holding the steak with a pair of tongs gently seal the edges of the steak, transfer it to a shallow tray and place in the oven to cook ( twenty minutes should do it medium rare)

Put the shallot, peppercorns, white wine vinegar, white wine and a little of the tarragon into a pan and reduce it to about a quarter of the original volume. When you have done this remove the peppercorns. Transfer the mixture into a bowl. Put the egg yolks into the bowl with the mixture and whisk until it starts to emulsify. Add the hot melted butter a bit at a time whisking after each addition. If the sauce starts to separate add a little hot water and it will reform. When all the butter is added mix in the mustard and the rest of the tarragon. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Fry the chips in the deep fat fryer until golden brown. Drain and dry on a kitchen towel and keep in the oven to remain hot.

Cut the cooked steak in two, place half on each plate. Run some sauce over it and place some of the chips to the side. A nice garnish with this is fresh watercress.

Desert (Raspberry and chocolate torte)

What you need

200gms Broken dark chocolate (good quality)
50gms unsalted butter
4 eggs (separated)
200gms castor sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons self raising flour
200gms fresh raspberries
Icing sugar

What you do

Heat the oven to 180C. Line a square cake tin with parchment and butter it. In a microwave (or in a glass bowl over boiling water)
Gently melt the butter and the chocolate. Whisk the egg yolks and half the sugar until light and fluffy, stir in the cocoa and then fold in the flour. Beat the egg white to peaks and then fold in the rest of the sugar. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture a bit at a time. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for forty minutes. Allow to cool then cut into four inch squares and arrange the raspberries on the top, dusting them lightly with some icing sugar. Keep in fridge until ready to serve. A small amount of single cream is good with this.

The ideal drink is obviously chilled champagne or sparkling white wine.

Make sure that you reap the rewards that night cos when she sees the washing up in the morning she’ll kill you!!!

The ideal drink is obviously chilled champagne or sparkling white wine.

Bloody hell Tony, i am a spark not a merchant banker:D

Does look good, but those green stick things are yuck. Will have to have see if we have some scallops in the freezer.

Mrs Doc not back intil after the Grand Prix.

Will be able to watch a grand prix in peace:D

Point taken, it can be a bit pricey but those green stick things are an ancient aphrodisiac, and the courses are all either renowned as the same or the ingredients used are. I recommend the torte though it is great, even if I say so myself.
Am going to warch the Grand Prix too, a good chance of rain today so it could be quite interesting!!

Reply to >>>>> !!Bane and tony.towa's Cookbook Central!! <<<<< Daily in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock