Discuss Battery powered Rotating Beacon in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello
Hope everyone is well and thanks for creating this forum.

I'm looking for some help for a project I'm doing.
It's a Short Film where I would like a red rotating beacon to cast its light on a solider running in a bunker's corridor.

I found a rotating beacon that comes with a car plug
Battery powered Rotating Beacon s-l1600 - EletriciansForums.net

How can I convert this to battery powered (like AA or similar maybe? or a small lead battery?) and hang it off a wall without having it to look like it's extruding too much due to the battery size?

Thanks a lot for any advice

How long do you need it to run for? Or could you extend the cable and place a car battery out of sight?

How long do you need it to run for? Or could you extend the cable and place a car battery out of sight?
Hi Strima

I think 5min would be ideal, and eventually carrying extra batteries.

Or run a long cable and convert it to 13amp
Is it possible to do that?

8 x AA batteries will run it, but for how long? Half an hour to an hour as a guess.

You could lose the curly cable and connect it to a mains powered 12V DC universal power supply, this would also give the benefit of remote switching.

Can I suggest that the OP asks an engineering friend to help him... I get the feeling he might not even know which way to turn a screwdriver. (no offence intended, I'm thinking safety here)

Can I suggest that the OP asks an engineering friend to help him... I get the feeling he might not even know which way to turn a screwdriver. (no offence intended, I'm thinking safety here)

The risk is minimal in this case, I can't see a problem.

Hello
Hope everyone is well and thanks for creating this forum.

I'm looking for some help for a project I'm doing.
It's a Short Film where I would like a red rotating beacon to cast its light on a solider running in a bunker's corridor.

I found a rotating beacon that comes with a car plug
View attachment 52028

How can I convert this to battery powered (like AA or similar maybe? or a small lead battery?) and hang it off a wall without having it to look like it's extruding too much due to the battery size?

Thanks a lot for any advice
Wow. That sounds proper unique!

Any chance you can link us to the film once done, or is it commissioned for somebody and you can't?

@buzzlightyear please don't delete posts that way, report them instead and ask for them to be deleted. @TonyMitchell (christ we have a lot of Tony's when I try to @ you!) please report the initial post rather than quoting it. When you quote it, we have to read the thread and find the quotes to delete those too. It's double the housekeeping work then. :)

Cheeeerrrrssss

soorrrrrrry Dan dare I was trying to send a link for the op and my mobile was not having it ,what it was send was random numbers .any way back at the ranch .
Bless you. No problem matey. Thanks for the heads up.

Hi,may i suggest to the OP,that they would be better hollowing out that beacon,and getting a small,cheap xenon pcb,off the net. They can have a variety of pulse characteristics,and usually,are powered by AA or AAA batteries.

I did a heath robinson lash up,years ago,for such an ask,which was two 9V batteries,with the stud of one,pushed in to the castle of the other,and take your 18V DC off the remaining two.

You won't get long,and it is a very expensive way round it,if using Duracell :oops:

Yeah I don't think a flashing xenon is going to give the effect he is after.

Reply to Battery powered Rotating Beacon in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock