Discuss 12V battery saver / preserver / immobilizer / cut-off in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi There,

Just wondering if anyone is aware of any devices that automatically preserve vehicle 12V battery life by breaking the circuit once the vehicle is switched off, looking at installing such a device to vehicles in bulk so obviously targeting cost effective solutions and ease of use/installation.

I am wanting to avoid having to open the hood of every vehicle each time to flick a switch/turn a knob and would ideally have it so that it cuts power when turned off but allows the vehicle to power up upon turning the key or push button to start.

At most wiring a buttoned remote to the interior of the vehicle would suffice if it were the only way.

Vehicles will be held in storage and the main goal is to preserve battery life as much as possible.

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Thank you,

Luke

They seem to be about
Here's a couple in AU:

I would be a bit suspicious of the claims and reliability of some of these Chinese products, but those with good reviews would be worth a try! Best of luck ! The remote control electronics in these units obviously draw a tiny quiescent current from the battery, maybe a milliamp or so, but I don't think that will flatten the battery any quicker than its natural (disconnected) internal discharge over time.

Some newer cars do this sort of thing themselves after 2 weeks or so, switching to a 'sleep' mode but still drawing a minuscule battery current.
I imagine others do not take kindly to having no power to their 'computers' for an extended period.

Last edited:

Reply to 12V battery saver / preserver / immobilizer / cut-off in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net