Discuss Best thing to do next? (seeing advice) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

megages

I Finished a short course in electrical wiring and, long story short;
I don't feel competent to rewire houses, or place peoples lives at risk due to my lack of real world experience.
I have applied for many apprenticeships both before, during, and after finishing this course but have been met with no responses (no return e-mails for example) or invitations to fill out forms and receiving no response afterwards.
I'm 26 years old, so while I'm not fresh out of school, college isn't an option as I have a house of my own to pay for and maintain.
I gained the following:
BS7671:2008 (17TH Edition)
Cert~ for Inspection and Testing Lv3
Defined Scope LvB&C
Full scope (Part P)

I studied for the exams, and while I cannot speak for experienced sparkies, but I found them to be very difficult, and I have some previous electrical experience. Yet I know from experience that reading does not the expert make.

I would feel much better working under an experienced electrician, and was wondering, what, if any qualifications would make me more attractive to apprentice providers/become an electricians mate?
I find many ask for GCSE grades, and while mine are not the best, I have qualifications that supersede them (Key skills for example) although I feel these are getting ignored.
If further qualifications are not the best solution what would be a better course of action?

I know many of you have reservations about 6-week sparky wannabes and I respect that, this is just a career choice I have been trying to make since college. Unfortunately where I would have had my apprenticeship burned to the ground (literally) and ever since then it has felt like a ship that has sailed, never to return.

Positive comments are always welcomed

Sometimes if you keep on at the local electricians they will call you when a big job comes in, you can often do this and end up with a life long work mate !!- apprentiecship sorted- attack your local electricians like you were trying to get customers.
Well done for knowing your limitations, dont worry the course was difficult- they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to say it but it may not be your qualifications but solely your range of experience. Would you expect to get a sparks job with little or no on the job experience and obtain the going rate of someone who as been on the tools since leaving school or for arguments sake accept minimum wage. From a business point of view it would be very unlikely you would be productive enough to command the going rate. I’m not taking anything away from you. By the sounds of it you have achieved a lot and on paper qualified to do the job but I can understand the response especially in the current economic climate. My advice would be keep at it, Try asking for some Saturday works even if its voluntary just to obtain some on the tools experience.

"Cert~ for Inspection and Testing Lv3" - What is this? Did you take City & Guilds 2391? If so, well done on passing that because this year I believe only 44% of people have passed.

As for what to do; as others have said, offer yourself for free on days off/weekends. Send letters to every sparky you can find (NICEIC, NAPIT, Elecsa, etc all have their members on their site. Search for those local to you). You could even try putting a letter up in the wholesalers (asking their permission first obviously). It's hard and I know that from personal experience, but don't give up asking and eventually you'll come across something.

As for applying for an apprenticeship - at 26 you're too old unfortunately.

"Cert~ for Inspection and Testing Lv3" - What is this? Did you take City & Guilds 2391? If so, well done on passing that because this year I believe only 44% of people have passed.

As for what to do; as others have said, offer yourself for free on days off/weekends. Send letters to every sparky you can find (NICEIC, NAPIT, Elecsa, etc all have their members on their site. Search for those local to you). You could even try putting a letter up in the wholesalers (asking their permission first obviously). It's hard and I know that from personal experience, but don't give up asking and eventually you'll come across something.

As for applying for an apprenticeship - at 26 you're too old unfortunately.

i think total people a training body will take ou on as an apprentice down side is im pretty sure they wont take you on unless in employment

i think it was 36%, my mates just passed his and bigged himself up stating that figure

nad really dont give up, i didnt even go to college until i was 25. perserverance will pay off, probably not very highly for a while but offering your services for free is going to get you some very valuable experience.
good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the positive comments guys, you cheered me up :D
I'll try the local electricians route, I have nothing to lose and never thought of that route to be honest. Thanks for the tip Jason.
Markc; Yeah I know my lack of experience itself is always going to be a massive thorn in my side which is understandable. With so many laws regarding the dos and do-nots, and the fact we can face criminal prosecution if we set ol' granny Smith's house set on fire, I don't expect to be hired and then left alone to rewire a whole house. Forgetting me getting strung up by my toes, the company I worked for would become bankcrupt!
Spa Key; Inspection and Testing is a certificate that says what it does on the tin. I can inspect and test a live circuit, big or small. I know that sounds primitive, since in theory everyone should test a circuit before commencing work on it, but there you go. They give certificates for that, for a price of course.
I am actually booked to do 2391 but truth be told that exam is hard for a reason. You have to draw, and explain in your own words the answers to the questions. It is highly recommended that people know what their on about before sitting that exam, and while I don't want to sound like I'm doubting myself, I think it's safe to say I'm not quite at that level yet. I hear talk of a 2392, which apparently is easier but I have never heard from, or met anyone with it so I have no idea what it encompasses.
Jonesy; I have heard of that other chicken and egg situation way back in my younger(19) years. After Siemans (in Manchester) burned down we were told we could continue our apprenticeship if we could find employment ourselves. 5, almost 6yrs later, and still looking.
Chris; yes the numbers are small, and rumour says that originally you only got 1 shot at it too! That's now 3 tries I believe, could be wrong. However Despite all the hoops the exam throws at people, you will never find a customer who asks you for that qualification (or any for that matter) nor have I seen any employees advertising gross pay checks for people with it.
Not trying to sound cynical or take anything away from anyone who passes it, passing is in itself the reward, but I have yet to find out what, if any, benefits it bestows.
cbw: based in Stoke-on-Trent, previously Manchester. Will move for work.

Reply to Best thing to do next? (seeing advice) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net