Discuss Bit of advice for someone looking for a career change. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all just joined because at 37 I'm after a career change. Been thinking about sparks for a while, and more recently feeling the need for a more stable career.

I want to do it the right way, and get the right certs. I've been looking at the tradeskills4u course, which savings and a generous other half can help with, but will only go so far. So what are the options for work through the various stages? Can I get working after the first domestic installer step, before moving on to the C&G 2365.

Like I say I'm not after a shortcut, but it'd be nice to be earning a bit along the way, even if it's an electricians gopher, or pat tester, and what's the availability of work like that?

Also if you know a better place to get qualified, between West London and Hampshire I would really appreciate it.

Cheers.

What do you do currently. Do you think you have any transferable skills ?

I'm a self employed metal fabricator, or was before lockdown. And I used to fill in any gaps with a bit of basic handyman work on rated people.
So I'm reasonably handy, and I've done plenty of wiring on my old motorbikes. So I have a basic knowledge of electrics, but I know my limits with the higher voltage stuff.

Last edited:
I woudnt do any of those courses Part p , first domestic installer, What i would recommend is get you 18 edition and some hand tools and try to find work as a helper/mate to get some experience and if you enjoy the job start doing your electrical installation 2365 .
Its not worth to spend thousands of pounds on a trade you never worked at , being a spark is the best trade in my opinion but its not for everyone

I woudnt do any of those courses Part p , first domestic installer, What i would recommend is get you 18 edition and some hand tools and try to find work as a helper/mate to get some experience and if you enjoy the job start doing your electrical installation 2365 .
Its not worth to spend thousands of pounds on a trade you never worked at , being a spark is the best trade in my opinion but its not for everyone

Cheers Gabriel, just to confirm that would be this part?

Hi All

Like @Steventempered I am also looking at transitioning into a career as an Electrician. I have qualifications & experience in IT which I appreciate don't mean a lot.

I have seen C&G level 2 2365 courses at local colleges but unsure if that is a suitable first step and more unsure what options (e.g. Apprentice level jobs) would be available after.

Any advice or pointers gratefully received ??

Hi All

Like @Steventempered I am also looking at transitioning into a career as an Electrician. I have qualifications & experience in IT which I appreciate don't mean a lot.

I have seen C&G level 2 2365 courses at local colleges but unsure if that is a suitable first step and more unsure what options (e.g. Apprentice level jobs) would be available after.

Any advice or pointers gratefully received ??

The level 2 2365 will be the first step Steeleo then level 3 2365 then Am2, inspection & testing and NVQ.

If you apply for a apprenticeship you'll do the 5357.

Apprenticeship always the best route but finding one is the hard part. Both courses are more or less the same, the difference being is you'll be working on the job whilst studying the 5357. Both will finally lead you to the Am2 then NVQ.

While searching around I've seen a lot of people here and other forums are dismissive of the fast track courses the likes of tradeskills4u are offering. I quite like that people are protective of their industry, too many jobs out there with a low bar of entry and low wages to suit. But these courses are more flexible than the college route and like you say I don't fancy my chances of finding an apprenticeship.

If I went through them would I be in a worse position looking for work as a mate or improver, or is it more about attitude. I don't mind spending what they're asking and putting in the graft if it's gonna pay off down the road. I just don't want to be laughed out the room when I come looking for work.

While searching around I've seen a lot of people here and other forums are dismissive of the fast track courses the likes of tradeskills4u are offering. I quite like that people are protective of their industry, too many jobs out there with a low bar of entry and low wages to suit. But these courses are more flexible than the college route and like you say I don't fancy my chances of finding an apprenticeship.

If I went through them would I be in a worse position looking for work as a mate or improver, or is it more about attitude. I don't mind spending what they're asking and putting in the graft if it's gonna pay off down the road. I just don't want to be laughed out the room when I come looking for work.

In terms of would you taking a DI course look more favourably amongst employers the answer is No unfortuantly, because from an employers point of view you still wouldnt have any industry recognised qualifications or experience.

There is nothing stopping you applying to be a mate now as long as you get your H&S card to allow you onsite.

Yes that course in my opinion is a waste of money , 5 days of practical is not enough to learn really anything , the part P and the PAT TEST is a good qualification to have when you are fully qualified , and the testing course is just basics stuff .
if you are going to spend nearly 3k on a course go to a local college and try to get on you level 2 electrical installation 2365 (level 1 is really basic I was told and useless , I skipped level 1 and went straight to level 2) you will do practical and theory lessons on there for almost a year and you can do it part time on evenings for about the same price, and the good thing is after you get your level 3 you can start doing your portfolio do get your nvq.

Hi,

I have posted my thoughts on these courses on another thread here titled Advice Needed if you fancy having a look at that. I too an working on my 2365 and from what I found as an entry into the commercial / industrial side its way more important to have the relevant ECS/CSCS card to work on site.

From what I can see though there is a bit of a catch 22 situation though. You need the cards to be able to get a job and work on sites but to get a card you need to have a job in the industry??

Regarding your comments about you don't mind the cost of the course if you're going to get something back. Completing any of these courses is no guarantee of higher earning potential. Just have a look on the job websites and you will get an idea what positions are out there and what they're paying.

If you do (as I am) pay to do any of these courses expect nothing in return and view it as an investment in yourself and your own learning path. Don't just think you can recoup the cost of the course over the next few years because you probably won't unless you strike it very lucky. If you can afford to py for the course then it's better to write off the cost rather than chase the £££ because you need to get that money back.

Yes that course in my opinion is a waste of money , 5 days of practical is not enough to learn really anything , the part P and the PAT TEST is a good qualification to have when you are fully qualified , and the testing course is just basics stuff .
if you are going to spend nearly 3k on a course go to a local college and try to get on you level 2 electrical installation 2365 (level 1 is really basic I was told and useless , I skipped level 1 and went straight to level 2) you will do practical and theory lessons on there for almost a year and you can do it part time on evenings for about the same price, and the good thing is after you get your level 3 you can start doing your portfolio do ge
if you are going to spend nearly 3k on a course go to a local college and try to get on you level 2 electrical installation 2365 (level 1 is really basic I was told and useless , I skipped level 1 and went straight to level 2) you will do practical and theory lessons on there for almost a year and you can do it part time on evenings for about the same price, and the good thing is after you get your level 3 you can start doing your portfolio do get your nvq.

Agree with almost everything you say apart from the having the part P qualification, you dont actually need this to join a CPC scheme

My mistake, you can apply for an ECS/CSCS card if you can show you are registered and undertaking the relevant training course.

I think you need CIBT H&S card too but from what I can find online all of these places are closed until further notice due to Covid 19.

My mistake, you can apply for an ECS/CSCS card if you can show you are registered and undertaking the relevant training course.

I think you need CIBT H&S card too but from what I can find online all of these places are closed until further notice due to Covid 19.

The relevant training course for the ECS card will be the 2365 level 2 and 3. As for CSCS card you dont need to be in any training courses to apply for this.

The relevant training course for the ECS card will be the 2365 level 2 and 3. As for CSCS card you dont need to be in any training courses to apply for this.

Thanks for that. To enable you to get on site working as an electrical labourer can you do it with just the ECS card or do you know if the CSCS green card is required too?

From what I've read you need to have completed a CIBT H&S course either way?

Thanks for that. To enable you to get on site working as an electrical labourer can you do it with just the ECS card or do you know if the CSCS green card is required too?

From what I've read you need to have completed a CIBT H&S course either way?

Yeah either way you'll have to complete the H&S exam. Yes just the ECS card you wont need the green card, I have the blue skilled card from another trade but will eventually have to apply for the ECS labourers card if I go down the NVQ route.

Reply to Bit of advice for someone looking for a career change. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock