Discuss Bit of advice for someone looking for a career change. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am a complete beginner ans also going for a career change. I've paid about 7500 for the LEVEL 2 AND 3 2365 course and books. The course I'm doing is with Tradeskills 4 u. I have done the first 5 weeks which includes, part p, 18th, domestic installation workshop and inspection and testing 2392. I have learnt loads and now going to start the rest of Level 2 and move on to Level 3. I don't get why people say the course is a waste of time. it seems to be the route to NVQ Level 3 to become fully qualified. I have a friend who is an electrician and everything I have learnt seems to be the same content he learnt at college the only difference is you are paying to do it full time so it is faster to compete and more intense.

Last edited:
I am a complete beginner ans also going for a career change. I've paid about 7500 for the LEVEL 2 AND 3 2365 course and books. The course I'm doing is with Tradeskills 4 u. I have done the first 5 weeks which includes, part p, 18th, domestic installation workshop and inspection and testing 2392. I have learnt loads and now going to start the rest of Level 2 and move on to Level 3. I don't get why people say the course is a waste of time. it seems to be the route to NVQ Level 3 to become fully qualified. I have a friend who is an electrician and everything I have learnt seems to be the same content he learnt at college the only difference is you are paying to do it full time so it is faster to compete and more intense.
The problem with any fast track course is that for (most folks, not all) you have so much to take in and trying to retain all of this can become overwhelming to your brain and so 'stuff' gets muddle up.

Reminds me of studying for exams (in my younger I thought I knew better days), cram the night before, pass exam, however if asked the same questions a week later then I would struggle to remember all of it.

Key to anything is doing it at a pace that works for you and to regularly revisit what you've previously learned for it to stay in your long term memory.

Wishing you good luck on your journey!!!

Last edited:

Hi Joel - I have looked at this course also. How are you finding the course(s)? I'm very nervous about undertaking studying again after such a long time.

Hi Joel - I have looked at this course also. How are you finding the course(s)? I'm very nervous about undertaking studying again after such a long time.
Joel please give your view on the Tradeskils4U training

Its hard to get unbiased views so this would help.

I can get bits of work through son in law but don’t want to do a non compliant job.
I trained as an electrician a long time ago and whilst electricity is the same the standards are not
We didn’t test back then

I know how circuits work. I have worked in Data Networking for years I just need a change.

Any on site experience?

How has your training gone, please give your view on the Tradeskils4U training

Its hard to get unbiased views so this would help.

I can get bits of work through son in law but don’t want to do a non compliant job.
I trained as an electrician a long time ago and whilst electricity is the same the standards are not
We didn’t test back then

I know how circuits work. I have worked in Data Networking for years I just need a change.

Any on site experience?

I'd be keen to hear how people who have studied there 2365 Level 1 & 2 have conquered the issue of experience?

Voluntary labouring?
Apprenticeship?
Straight to Electricians mate with quals. only?
Straight to self employment?

I am going into this career change knowing that demonstrable experience > qualifications. How I get around this, I am not sure.

Reply to Bit of advice for someone looking for a career change. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net