Discuss Bonding metal studwork, in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HI all,

I need to bond metal stud work on new build houses, 4mm from socket to an upright, uprights have roof baton for noggins, then socket screwed to the baton, does the bond need access for testing at all?

I'm looking into metal noggins for continuity,i think it will be better, just wondering if supplementary bonding needs access for testing or inspecting as it will be covered by the plasterboard?

Cheers
Grand

HI all,

I need to bond metal stud work on new build houses, 4mm from socket to an upright, uprights have roof baton for noggins, then socket screwed to the baton, does the bond need access for testing at all?

I'm looking into metal noggins for continuity,i think it will be better, just wondering if supplementary bonding needs access for testing or inspecting as it will be covered by the plasterboard?

Cheers
Grand
Test it to see if it requires supplementary bonding

Is it extraneous is it an exposed conductive part…NO… no need to bond.
Someone got a shock off it , not my job but another site , a plasterboard screw went into the live and the whole wall was live , had an email from building firm to bond wall from one socket . And here I am looking for solutions , don't know if the RCD tripped or anythinging else as to what happened.

Not sure how you are going to bond all the metal partition pieces and ensure the connections will be accessible for inspection!

I'd be working out why the RCD didn't trip.

Someone got a shock off it , not my job but another site , a plasterboard screw went into the live and the whole wall was live , had an email from building firm to bond wall from one socket . And here I am looking for solutions , don't know if the RCD tripped or anythinging else as to what happened.
Regulations wise:

Unlikely that the stud work is an extraneous part (it's probably not imbedded in the ground), so doesn't need bonding. It's not part of the electrical system/equipment, so not an exposed conductive part, so doesn't need earthing. However, (other than the exceptions mentioned in 522.6.204), cables that pass through it need additional protection by 30mA RCD.

So, as what you're being asked to do is not required by the regs, I would say you can do it exactly as you see fit. I'm assuming the end result is to ensure that the protective device operates if there is a fault from live conductors to the studwork? If so, then it's earthing.

At a guess, I'd say the studs are fitted to/on to dry building materials that don't give a good enough path to earth for it to trip

Yeah maybe so. Enough current for a shock to be felt though. Be interesting seeing the actual fault.

Reply to Bonding metal studwork, in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net