Search the forum,

Discuss Books for Fault Finding. Please Help. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nazoom

Hi

I have looked every where for books and materials for Fault finding and had no luck so far!

Does anyone know of good books or website or material that will help me to prepare for this mean exam C&G?

Many Thanx

never heard of an exam on fault finding. that skill don't come out of books. it's practical experience, applying testing knowledge and knowing where to seek that nasty fault.

Naz do not know of any the way I look at it is you learn how the circuit works then it reverse engineering when you have to fault find although I must admit that there are some goods sparks out there but when it comes to fault finding they cant put a nut in a monkeys mouth so to speak.
The nature of my business is fault diagnostics but I took to it like a duck to water but not everybody does

Last edited by a moderator:
No books that I know of either. Your best resource for that sort of thing is this forum. Post up a detailed description of the fault and i could nearly guarantee you will get more guidance than any book.

Not sure which level you require.

From Amazon Wiring Systems and Fault Finding by Brian Scaddan
Advanced Testing Techniques by Anthony Hinsley
Troubleshooting of Electrical Equipment and Control Circuits by
Mark Brown
Practical Guide To Inspection, Testing and Certification
by Christopher Kitcher

I hope one of these helps.

Nazoom there's also the NICEIC series of books called 'Snags and Solutions' that runs through -in a general kind of way - probs that most often come through to their technical helpline. There's not too much detail but good to be aware of common issues.

But, this forum is by far THE best place to read about typical and unusual faults and how they're dealt with. There must be thousands of years of electrical experience on offer here :rockon2:

Last edited:
When i was at college we were taught that fault finding was really just inspection & testing - you might see that something is not as it should be or if you're lucky the customer might give you a clue, then you go through the standard test procedure until you find some figures that don't add up, which should get you a bit closer to the finish line.
In the exam there's usually a big clue in the description, eg 'customer is getting shocks of taps' might indicate there is a problem with bonding. Even if it is as vague as 'customer has had a new outside socket installed by a neighbour and would like it checked out' you can be sure you'll only need to test one circuit.

I dont use the term loaded comfortable is better loaded sounds a bit brash I am fortunate as I thrive on problem solving although sometimes it gets boring. But thats the nature of my business no hammer and chisel to keep me awake at night plus I think I have worked out the odds ie there is more money to be made fault finding instead of doing a job and remember every day is a school day

Reply to Books for Fault Finding. Please Help. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net