Discuss Break In in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

All insurers are gits, they'll do anything to get out of paying what might be a perfectly legitimate claim.
About the time of Hurricane Katriana which flooded New Orleans we had some incredibly high winds and we ended up with damage to our roof and a pretty substantial leak. A guy came out from a contractor and said that our insurers should pay up, a few days later a female loss adjuster came out and told Mrs Trev that they wouldn't because the roof showed signs of previous repairs so the damage was not caused by the storm. When I got in from work I rang her and asked where she had served her time as a roofer, she said(obviously) that she hadn't. I then asked what experience she had in roofing and general construction, she replied that she had none. So I asked her what qualified her to comment on the state of our roof and she started waffling. When we got the written confirmation that a pay out would not be made I cancelled every policy we had with them.
The buggers then had the gall to write to us telling us we still owed them several days premium.
If it was not a legal necessity I wouldn't insure very much at all.
most also dont cover tools if there not locked securely on site

and not covered in van unless it has a thatchen aproved alarm.

best thing you can do is politely remind them that you will take them to court for miss selling it you to and the stress caused, it wont go to court becauae if they let it then it will cost them thousands

a lot of the scum companies try there luck but if you know your rights then they will listen if it is going to hit there pockets

Sorry to be a wet blanket, why were the tools in the van over night? I know it’s a pain in the arse to take them out of the van and secure them but they are your livelihood. In a secure place you will be covered by your insurance, a van as others have said you will not have that cover.

If you’re van is sign written then I’ve no sympathy what so ever.

Glennsparks put a lot of effort in to tracking his stuff down, it paid off.

When I was self employed years ago .Got tools insured..but the insurers insisted that overnight the van /tools were off road and either in a locked compound ( not really suitable with a domestic house) or in a locked garage.

When I was self employed years ago .Got tools insured..but the insurers insisted that overnight the van /tools were off road and either in a locked compound ( not really suitable with a domestic house) or in a locked garage.
if its in your garage it would be cheaper to add cover through your home insurance (buissness items are not covered on a lot of policies unless you ask for it and a max value on individual items)

treat the lock and handles with powdered crystal iodine it leaves a dark brown to purple stain in the skin that takes weeks to wear out
makes it easy to find who took stuff

When I worked for my Uncle, someone stole all our cable from our stores in broad daylight. It was all on CCTV, the Police caught them and we got all our cable back (about 6 months later mind). They got away with it though, apparently unsifficient evidence!!!

A well known local burglar broke into my mother's house shortly after she died, again there was insufficient evidence. I know loads of cops, one of them told me it was definitely him.
He "fell over" a week or so later :)

One of the best ways is to link the van up to your house alarm system

we have done this for customers in the past, RISCO Gardtec GT600 Hybrid System with wireless expander for up to 8 zones, buy a wireless pir or wireless shock and mount it onto a wooden board that you can stand up in the back of your van, the only pitfall is that you must remember to take the detector in the house when you go to work as the panel will be looking for the PIR and throw a fault

One of the best ways is to link the van up to your house alarm system

we have done this for customers in the past, RISCO Gardtec GT600 Hybrid System with wireless expander for up to 8 zones, buy a wireless pir or wireless shock and mount it onto a wooden board that you can stand up in the back of your van, the only pitfall is that you must remember to take the detector in the house when you go to work as the panel will be looking for the PIR and throw a fault
seperate alarm in van would be a good idea, with keyfob to activate/disable

seperate alarm in van would be a good idea, with keyfob to activate/disable

Yes you could, however your more likely to be alerted to your house alarm screaming the house down rather than a car/van alarm

+ you kill two birds with one stone, protecting your house and car with a decent system, rather than just spending £300 for a car alarm

Reply to Break In in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net