Discuss Broken PEN in TN-C-S in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm learning so be gentle.

I'm trying to understand the consequences of a broken PEN conductor downstream of the DNO service head. If I'm correct, this will cause all exposed conductive parts to potentially rise to mains voltage but this voltage will be reduced by any parallel paths created by supplementary bonding to metallic water, gas supplies etc. Also any RCD in the circuit will not trip.

My questions are:

(1) Will the parallel paths have a low enough resistance to generate enough current to trip any MCB connected to the circuit? Effectively a TT system?

(2) What happens if the gas, water supplies coming into the property are plastic? Surely this will mean no supplementary bonding is required and no path to Earth. All exposed conductive parts will remain live?

(3) Supply to outbuilding. If "extraneous conductive parts" in the building then bonding required and the bonding conductor would normally be 10mm2. Why is supplying outbuildings, caravans, marquees etc additionally problematic if supplied by TN-C-S?

As I've said, I'm not qualified, just interested so be gentle!!

An open circuit PEN conductor will mean the neutral flow is diverted by way of the earth, assuming as you say it has somewhere to go. This is why the sizing of main protective bonding conductors is important on TN-C-S systems, it would be easy for any protective conductor to overheat in this situation.
Just as hazardous if not more so is a dwelling connected from a three phase supply along with several other dwellings because if the neutral is lost at source you may have all sorts of voltage winging through your appliances due to a certain imbalance across the phases.

Reply to Broken PEN in TN-C-S in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock