Discuss cable calculator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

murphyd

Can any of you wonderful sparks give me some advice? What is the best cable calculation software, considering cost as well, I was thinking of using amtech but it's pricey! It does have to save my cable calculations though.

try draka free app. megger do one as well.

Amtech is good and the most widely recognised in the electrical industry. It also covered by most insurance companies but is pricey. Hevacomp is ok but is more suited if you want a combined mechanical and electrical package.

Yes that's the reason I need the software, I need professional liability for a project as I have to design the sub mains, sounds like amtech then! Will single cable calculator be ok?

Yes good point Dave, this is my usual way of cable calculation , but some companies prefer the electronic version.

Never heard of anything so daft!!

Does that mean Electrical Design Engineers are no longer needed in the industry because we have computer applications/programs that insurance companies prefer to see?? As far as i'm concerned these programs are only as good as the information that is provided. Me, i like to see the workings of the person as to how/why a cable type/size has been chosen etc, etc!!

Only a little while ago, did we see a cable software printout posted in one of the threads that was full of errors.... lol!!

Cable calc software should not be relied on 100% for a design aspect of your job, the cables should be calculated the old fashion way (TBH doesn't take a couple of mins to a competent Electrician to do so).. then you can confirm and have a pro' looking software do the printed copy.

You should not get into the habit of using these quick calc' approach software in the design stage, maybe as a onsite ball park figure system until you get back to the office, no insurance company will cover you for using alternative methods of calculation if it is at error, you yourself should always run the figures pen and paper to confirm anyway.

This is half the reason why we have numerically stupid generation of kids (the worst in the world' is because they were given calculators to do everything at school, luckily their lack of maths ability won't hopefully burn a property down or kill someone, don't get into the habit of relying on this software it is designed as a addition to helping you with your pen and paper calcs and should not be used as a replacement for it.

This is half the reason why we have numerically stupid generation of kids (the worst in the world' is because they were given calculators to do everything at school, luckily their lack of maths ability won't hopefully burn a property down or kill someone, .....

I saw that in action a few years ago, buying 4 batteries at 89p each, young assistant uses calculator and asked me for £7.60 something! then looked confused when I refused to pay :D

I work as a designer and as much as I don't fully trust the software and the fact that several ppl check our calculations as well as calculating them by hand, the insurance company only accepts our calcs done on Hevacomp software. Some insurance companies accept Amtech (and I prefer Amtech).

Yes good point Dave, this is my usual way of cable calculation , but some companies prefer the electronic version.

Never heard of anything so daft!!

Does that mean Electrical Design Engineers are no longer needed in the industry because we have computer applications/programs that insurance companies prefer to see?? As far as i'm concerned these programs are only as good as the information that is provided. Me, i like to see the workings of the person as to how/why a cable type/size has been chosen etc, etc!!

Only a little while ago, did we see a cable software printout posted in one of the threads that was full of errors.... lol!!

Most software works on the basis: rubbish in = rubbish out. Hence why ppl still need to know what they are doing.

Cable calc software should not be relied on 100% for a design aspect of your job, the cables should be calculated the old fashion way (TBH doesn't take a couple of mins to a competent Electrician to do so).. then you can confirm and have a pro' looking software do the printed copy.

You should not get into the habit of using these quick calc' approach software in the design stage, maybe as a onsite ball park figure system until you get back to the office, no insurance company will cover you for using alternative methods of calculation if it is at error, you yourself should always run the figures pen and paper to confirm anyway.

This is half the reason why we have numerically stupid generation of kids (the worst in the world' is because they were given calculators to do everything at school, luckily their lack of maths ability won't hopefully burn a property down or kill someone, don't get into the habit of relying on this software it is designed as a addition to helping you with your pen and paper calcs and should not be used as a replacement for it.

I like to use spreadsheet etc to calc.

makes it easy because formulae is set all you need to do is type in the values

if you want to be posh you can make a little fancy macro to add bits/dropdown bars to make it quicker

I work as a designer and as much as I don't fully trust the software and the fact that several ppl check our calculations as well as calculating them by hand, the insurance company only accepts our calcs done on Hevacomp software. Some insurance companies accept Amtech (and I prefer Amtech).

Since when has insurance companies disregarded/not accepted the signature of a Chartered Electrical Engineers calculations??

Not sure but all I know is we must do all calcs on software as our insurance stipulates it. Everyone can make mistakes, even chartered engineers. I'm not saying that software is flawless.

If you work on large projects you will also realise that it can be much quicker using software than doing all calcs long hand.

Since when has insurance companies disregarded/not accepted the signature of a Chartered Electrical Engineers calculations??

Think you are missing the point here. Is the OP a chartered engineer? I don't know but I doubt it, hence why software and perhaps some training in how to use it would be the most suitable suggestion.

what's wrong with think of a figure and double it? it works for british gas.

Reply to cable calculator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net