Discuss Cable termination into Brick Lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've picked up a job of replacing some Brick Lights, whilst doing some work at a property.

The original lights seals have failed and had a very low IR reading. The lights were fed from the house via FCU and swa cable. I've disconnected both ends of the swa and have a satisfactory IR. What I'm scratching my head with is, how to connect up the lights to the swa supply. The lights are reccessed into a single block wall, which is holding back a raised garden. The original wiring had been bodged in quite frankly, with the swa connected into metal conduit tee boxes, and then flex into each fitting. The swa was buried about 6" under the garden border as well as the flex. The flex was 'terminated' into each fitting with silicone sealent.

I'm going to run the supply on the surface (garden side) of the wall as it can't be buried deep enough. So I've thought of terminating the swa into a 'Wiska' box, and then using plastic conduit thereon in, tee'ing off above the back of each fitting (the lights are about 600mm below). I had thought of continuing in swa and tee off above each fitting in a conduit tee box, but with 8 fittings I thought it would look unsightly and time consuming. My concern is how to terminate into each fitting, as it's up against garden soil. I was thinking of carry on down in plastic conduit & then use IP 65 commpression glands. Any other ideas? Do these brick lights can prewired with a flex tail?

The best way to do this kind of job very much depends on the exact layout, even things like the way the wall is constructed ie brick or block, whether there's a cavity and obviously the construction of the fittings can make a difference. Some fittings come with a pre-fitted HO7RNF tail for example, some don't. Some fittings come with two points available for glanding, others may only have one.

I'd suggest you try and avoid underground joints if possible.

Yep, that's how the old ones failed. It's single block wall. Haven't got the fittings yet, so perhaps wait till I get them. Just concerned how to terminate into the fittings, with all the soil behind them?

Just an idea...
use IP68 glands, then 1 or 2 layers of adhesive lined heat shrink over the gland and some of the cable.
Then back fill with gravel to help with drainage.

Reply to Cable termination into Brick Lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net