Discuss Cables in ceiling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if it is legitimate to install cables into a chase in a lath & plaster ceiling and then plaster over? The reason I'm asking is because I have been asked to quote for replacement of a vermin damaged lighting circuit which is above a lath & plaster ceiling and there is no access to it from above and the customer would like the cable protected from any possible future vermin damage.

BTW I just asked NICEIC tech help and was told I couldn't unless it was provided with mechanical protection as it's less than 50mm above the ceiling which I can see the point of if it was running through a joist but it isn't.

Cheers

The NICEIC are correct, it needs to be >50mm or mechanical protected.
Or kept on the surface.
Or you could run swa.

Or how about running micc?

Last edited:
bs7671 aside. damage to the structural integrity of the ceiling precludes this method.

Can anyone tell me if it is legitimate to install cables into a chase in a lath & plaster ceiling and then plaster over? The reason I'm asking is because I have been asked to quote for replacement of a vermin damaged lighting circuit which is above a lath & plaster ceiling and there is no access to it from above and the customer would like the cable protected from any possible future vermin damage.

BTW I just asked NICEIC tech help and was told I couldn't unless it was provided with mechanical protection as it's less than 50mm above the ceiling which I can see the point of if it was running through a joist but it isn't.

Cheers
Could you not use a fire tuff type cable BS8436 which would comply with Reg 522.6.204

Firstly the NIC are wrong again as you can replace cable, as long as it takes the same route and had the same CSA without applying futher protection.

as for the fauna that is the issue, you need to protect the cable from it as if it has happened once it will more than likely happen again in the future.

Firstly the NIC are wrong again as you can replace cable, as long as it takes the same route and had the same CSA without applying futher protection.

as for the fauna that is the issue, you need to protect the cable from it as if it has happened once it will more than likely happen again in the future.

They're not wrong Diillb, The op is replacing a cable that is above the existing ceiling, not one that is already in the plaster.
He asked them 'if it is legitimate to install cables into a chase in a lath & plaster ceiling and then plaster over? '
Would you really tell him that's ok and complies with the regs?

Your second point is a good point though.

A slight misunderstanding on my part, but I dont know how the OP is going to chase put thelaster wothout potentiailly damaging the lats.

micc surface, polished to a high sheen. make a feature of it.

Cheers

If it is not running through joist's, why can't you pull through on existing cable.?

Reply to Cables in ceiling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net