Discuss Cables in concrete in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Am on a job at the moment in a office it is a small extension with floor sockets going in on a new concrete floor, so hav to put a duct in before floor sockets go in. What do u recommend using flexible conduit, plastic conduit etc cheers

I have used high impact plastic conduit to the floor box vicinity ending with a coupler and a foot or so of steel flexible near the floor box to allow for adjusting it if necessary

Am on a job at the moment in a office it is a small extension with floor sockets going in on a new concrete floor, so hav to put a duct in before floor sockets go in. What do u recommend using flexible conduit, plastic conduit etc cheers

I guess you could use flexible but I'd pull the cables before the floor is thrown. I'd use standard conduit with the usual 2 bends maximum.

Only an amature or someone that knows no different would even think of installing that thin flexible conduit stuff. Good Quality heavy duty pvc conduit or even standard PVC conduit is the way to go for any containment wiring in concrete or screeded floors....

Only problem with steel is corrosion especially over time, I've come across many older steel conduits that you can't pull wires or cable through because the inside wall is very rough like sandpaper. Guess it's personal preference but I'd go with solid PVC conduit in slabs unless there was a good reason not to.

There’s a lot of old council properties with perfectly sound metal conduit embedded in the slab.

There was a period in the 50’s where high alumina cement was used. It did rot steel embedded in concrete. It was referred to as concrete cancer it even rotted the re-bar. It took 20+ years to show.

You can get proper duct work for floor sockets used them on a commercial job the duct is a rectangle shape quite large and can fit a good few cables through each duct and we pulled the cables in after the floor went down, flexi con or 20mm conduit would be to risky for me

Reply to Cables in concrete in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net