Discuss capacitor in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

snowplough

Hi There ,

I wonder if any of you guys can explain to me why, in a flouriscent lighting (A.C )circuit with a choke and a capacitor connected , why does the supply current reduce when the capacitor is connected ,and why does the supply current increase when it is disconnected from the capacitor? . Is it because, when the capacitor is connected , some of the supply current is collected on the plate of the capacitor and the rest released into the circuit to the flouriscent lamp?.

Secondly, why dont the choke voltage and the flouri-lamp voltage add upto the supply voltage, i no its to do with the induct reactance of the choke and the old (A squared plus B squared =Csquared), but i have got to write a short answer to these two questions as i did ashort test before xmas at college and i have got to answer the above questions .

Many thanks for reading this,

Regards

Snowplough

Reply to capacitor in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have a question about a school circuit called a capacitor in an AC circuit. The capacitor is connected directly to the AC source and the phase...
Replies
Views
A coil is connected to a 100v a.c with 20ms, and supply current taken by the coil is 6a calculate the frequency (50Hz) the overall impedence (16.6...
Replies
Views
My dishwasher was failing, and I quickly found the problem was a failing capacitor on the circulation pump. Marked as 2.5uF 400V. No problem...
Replies
Views
Having a challenge understanding the concept behind why when you measure across line and neutral (live circuit) using voltage indicators we have...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am currently learning about AC and DC supplied coil and have been given the scenario below. I understand the first few steps but then...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock