Discuss Car electrical system shutdown in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bloomer26

DIY
Reaction score
After around 40-1h of driving at night (lights/dash on) a few warnings start to appear; hill start assist unavailable, vdc unavailable, yellow lock symbol appears(immobiliser unavailable) then finally the dashboard and headlights intermittently turn on and off whilst driving. (Radio still works) Pulled over, turned the car off, would not turn back on again (clikingsound), key gets stuck in the holder .

After leaving it for around 10-20mins(ish) it seems to reset itself. Then after another 20-ish minutes, the cycle repeats itself (lasts 40-1h after leaving off overnight). I've had the alternator and battery replaced. There is no general voltage drop or spike when the above happens. Only seems to happen when the lights/dash are on as I have driven the car during the day with no issues for approx 2h30.

You haven't said what car this is, but I' be looking at whatever body control module is in charge of the headlamps. Sounds like it is overheating, or has become sensitive to normal heating, and is affecting many other things on the car.

You haven't said what car this is, but I' be looking at whatever body control module is in charge of the headlamps. Sounds like it is overheating, or has become sensitive to normal heating, and is affecting many other things on the car.
Hi. thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

Yes, it’s the alpha 159 1.9jtdm

I think I have located the issue, the board inside the car. When the car heats up the issue starts but when I press down as in the video it turns on/off. Would replacing the fuse board help? I do have a spare I used for the relays. Appreciate the help! Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2257.MOV
    14 MB
Hmmmph! Italian cars and electrics!

I'm not at all familiar with this car, or any other Alpha, but it looks like that might just be a fuse/relay board, rather than an electronic control module, and the fault might be something as simple as a poor connection, or, a cracked (dry) solder joint.
If you can make the fault come and go at will, concentrate on narrowing it down as far as you can, before removing the board and carefully checking it. A 'dry' joint has a crystalline appearance, and often a faint grey ring around it.

Reply to Car electrical system shutdown in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock