Discuss Career change course advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TimH

Hi All.
I would like to call on your experienced advice, so any help very much appreciated.

I am looking to change my career path, with the ultimate aim to being self-employed and in a more practical role again.

Im 31 now and my career started after completing a degree in Marine Engineering, which was hard, but managed to complete, although I dont feel im very academic. I then joined the Merchant Navy for 4 years, and now work as an applications engineer for an internal combustion engine manufacturer. So I do have some electrical knowledge and experience, but not nearly as much hands-on as I want, as that to me cements understanding and gives you real job satisfaction.

Basically Im unhappy sat at a desk and want to return to a practical job, much like I did at sea, but with purely electrical work and landbased. Electrical engineering is my weaker knowledge area (being mainly a mechanical biased) and is now fast becomming my strong interest.

I am looking at gaining the qualifications I need to work as an industrial electrician or power electrician.

First thing I should mention is that Im very slightly colourblind, but pass City University and Farnsworth D15 tests - I had to for my work at sea, to be able to work on the 3 phase systems etc.... I only fail the ishihara. Is that ever an issue on land?

I have been looking at C&G courses, and Im not yet 100% clear on what is right or required for certain fields.
So far one training centre said that many ex-military people complete a 4 week package they offer - inc. C&G 2382-10, 2392-10, 2393-10, 2391-10. Is that the route I should take?

However I also note 2330, 2339, and 2322, and told about 2395, as in future with more experience I would want to design systems and then install them etc...

Not sure what I need to do to be legal, or initially to gain experience as employable to work on 3 phase systems etc...

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

Welcome to the forum

If as you say in your OP you want to get onto the industrial/commercial side of things then like a plague avoid those 4 week course, they are designed to give you a very basic knowledge of electrical contracting and are designed to fool the public and the student that they are qualified electricians, when in reality they are not.

As you are wanting to work in industry/ power distribution, you are choosing a very high risk side of the industry and the only sensible approach is to get yourself training that will make you competent and safe. I would go for a full 3-4 yr training course such as the C&G 2357.

Most power distribution courses are run by the distribution companies and they most likely run their own training courses.

Thanks for the reply.

I agree with your view.

2330/2357 is looking like the course for me. It will do me good what ever I end up doing.

Cheers

A few more replies on the other and all sound advice, but perhaps that boils down to the structure they have?
Im reading other similar posts as well, and both forums helping me piece things together.
Cheers

with that knowledge id be looking at maintenance in a factory/production environment,a mix of mechanical and electrical its hands on and fast paced,well it is when a machine stops working,you can do a college course to supplement what your learning ,i cant see you as a house basher to be honest

Interesting ideas about PLCs and commissioning, and factory maintenance. I will investigate those suggestions, thanks. Not sure how quickly I can be self employed in those respects, and I have very little PLC programming knowledge and experience. Cheers

Reply to Career change course advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net