Discuss Career paths/progressions in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’m hoping some of you will be able to help with this.

I’m currently working as a new build electrician, money is semi decent but as you’d expect it’s pretty dull. I’ve been doing it for a few years and am worried that I’m going to get stuck doing it for the rest of my career. This would be fine but as far as I’m aware there’s no progressions from being a new build spark?

My question being, what are some of the progressions for an electrician? Or what are some of the different career paths I could do down with little experience in commercial.

Thanks in advance.

I’m currently working as a new build electrician, money is semi decent but as you’d expect it’s pretty dull. I’ve been doing it for a few years and am worried that I’m going to get stuck doing it for the rest of my career. This would be fine but as far as I’m aware there’s no progressions from being a new build spark?

My question being, what are some of the progressions for an electrician? Or what are some of the different career paths I could do down with little experience in commercial.

Thanks in advance.
What about renewables?

on shore/off shore Wind farms, solar farms, heat pumps, EV points from a commercial perspective
Not likely to be out of work in the future, I would think if you can work your way up in this side of the industry you would do well!

I would like to maybe work in this side of the industry myself, but I’m too old now and don’t like travelling more than 10 miles from my house

If new build is all you know and you want to progress you need to get a job with a firm that does commercial/industrial work also.
There is so much you won't learn or even realise you don't know only doing new builds.

This could also give you a taste of some of the different specialties so you can see what interests you.

Short term would probably lead to a slight pay cut but with the experience you'll be able to command better rates and get better quality jobs.

I am now a high voltage fitter after starting out doing a regular commercial/industrial electricians apprenticeship in 2007.

Also spent:
5 years doing commercial/industrial testing.
2 years as a supervisor/technician for brownfield site redevelopment surveying involving confined space working.

Honestly get out there and the opportunities will find you.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Mate

I’m looking to break into the industry in any capacity…

Can i ask how you managed to land your current job?

Also what qualifications do you have/are working towards?

Matt

Hi Mate

I’m looking to break into the industry in any capacity…

Can i ask how you managed to land your current job?

Also what qualifications do you have/are working towards?

Matt
You've got two options:

Get someone to take you on by being honest with them.

or

Get some skills by yourself then lie about your experience.

You've got two options:

Get someone to take you on by being honest with them.

or

Get some skills by yourself then lie about your experience.
Hi

Thanks for replying.

I’ve tried being honest but no-one seems prepared to take me on without any qualifications.

I’m currently doing my 2365 level 2 as this seems the bare minimum most employers are asking for.

This will enable me to get an ECS labourers card which employers are also asking for.

I just wondered how u became a new build electrician? as that sounds like something I’d be interested in.

Hi

Thanks for replying.

I’ve tried being honest but no-one seems prepared to take me on without any qualifications.

I’m currently doing my 2365 level 2 as this seems the bare minimum most employers are asking for.

This will enable me to get an ECS labourers card which employers are also asking for.

I just wondered how u became a new build electrician? as that sounds like something I’d be interested in.

I did 1 year of 6th form then applied for a good old fashioned apprenticeship so no experience or previous qualifications particularly relevant to the trade.
Apprenticeship is the best way. I know in my area Clarkson Evans (main new build electrical contractor) are currently looking for apprentices.

I also know previous company I worked for often took adult trainees that applied for their apprenticeship scheme. (Large national contractor)
Generally the grown ups pick it up a bit quicker and are a bit more interested.

I did 1 year of 6th form then applied for a good old fashioned apprenticeship so no experience or previous qualifications particularly relevant to the trade.
Apprenticeship is the best way. I know in my area Clarkson Evans (main new build electrical contractor) are currently looking for apprentices.

I also know previous company I worked for often took adult trainees that applied for their apprenticeship scheme. (Large national contractor)
Generally the grown ups pick it up a bit quicker and are a bit more interested.
Hi Mate

Unfortunately due to my age I get overlooked when it comes to apprenticeships…I’ve tried !!!

Hi Mate

Unfortunately due to my age I get overlooked when it comes to apprenticeships…I’ve tried !!!

I guarantee that I'm older than you, but through persistence secured an apprenticeship. Knocking on doors is soul destroying, but opportunities are out there.

There are companies who have apprenticeship schemes not open to anyone over 24 and there are companies who won't entertain unsolicited approaches - thank them for their time and move on. Keep looking or don't, but your choices at this time may limit future opportunities or even exclude you completely from them.

Hi

Thanks for replying.

You can also do a 3 hour health and safety course for £99 that you can get your ECS card with, but you need to show engagement in the industry too. That could be via qualifications, and the 18th edition would be the easiest quickest route to this.

I've not got an ECS card i've got the CSCS card which is open to anyone to get. Same thing basically.

If you're doing your level 2 does that mean you'll have finished it in the coming weeks or are you starting in Sept?

I played nice for nearly a decade and nobody would take me on. After that i thought sod this, taught myself some skills and then lied about my experience to get taken on as a mate. You can suss the job in the first few days on site, it's just pulling cables, drilling holes, plugging, some making off, etc. 'Embellished' my CV and now i'm on 900 quid a week and i've only got my 18th edition. Agencies are literally crying out for anyone who can do the job at the moment, wages are going crazy.

Don't get me wrong - i can do the job and i have experience, but it was all self-taught through a willingness to learn it properly. But i've still had to lie about experience because if you don't nobody will look at you. I got my foot in the door and now i get beaming references off whoever i work for because i work hard when i'm at work and they get a good shift out of me.

You can also do a 3 hour health and safety course for £99 that you can get your ECS card with, but you need to show engagement in the industry too. That could be via qualifications, and the 18th edition would be the easiest quickest route to this.

I've not got an ECS card i've got the CSCS card which is open to anyone to get. Same thing basically.

If you're doing your level 2 does that mean you'll have finished it in the coming weeks or are you starting in Sept?

I played nice for nearly a decade and nobody would take me on. After that i thought sod this, taught myself some skills and then lied about my experience to get taken on as a mate. You can suss the job in the first few days on site, it's just pulling cables, drilling holes, plugging, some making off, etc. 'Embellished' my CV and now i'm on 900 quid a week and i've only got my 18th edition. Agencies are literally crying out for anyone who can do the job at the moment, wages are going crazy.

Don't get me wrong - i can do the job and i have experience, but it was all self-taught through a willingness to learn it properly. But i've still had to lie about experience because if you don't nobody will look at you. I got my foot in the door and now i get beaming references off whoever i work for because i work hard when i'm at work and they get a good shift out of me.
I’m completing my level 2 around my current job so hoping to be done as soon as possible.

I too have a CSCS card but it looks as if i need An ECS card which once I’ve completed my 2365 i should be able to apply for.

It’s a catch 22 situation…employees want me to have an ECS card but i cant Get the card until I’m employed/engaged in the industry 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m completing my level 2 around my current job so hoping to be done as soon as possible.

I too have a CSCS card but it looks as if i need An ECS card which once I’ve completed my 2365 i should be able to apply for.

It’s a catch 22 situation…employees want me to have an ECS card but i cant Get the card until I’m employed/engaged in the industry 🤷🏻‍♂️
ECS card is definitely an advantage but i've never been asked for it and do just fine for work.

I think you are misunderstanding this. They won't issue you an ecs card unless you are on an electrical progressive route, it has nothing to do with if your employed or not. If your not on an electrical course then you would have to go for cscs which some employers would still accept as an alternative to ecs but limited to working as a labourer / mate

ECS card is definitely an advantage but i've never been asked for it and do just fine for work.
That depends on what work you do and where

I work on a lot of commercial sites and without a card you won't be allowed on site. I have always been asked for card at induction for them to photocopy
no card = no work

I think you are misunderstanding this. They won't issue you an ecs card unless you are on an electrical progressive route, it has nothing to do with if your employed or not. If your not on an electrical course then you would have to go for cscs which some employers would still accept as an alternative to ecs but limited to working as a labourer / mate
Not true. You can do a recognised health and safety course and then provide proof of 'engagement in the electrical industry' and they accept qualifications as proof. I have the CSCS and am working as an improver on electricians money.
That depends on what work you do and where

I work on a lot of commercial sites and without a card you won't be allowed on site. I have always been asked for card at induction for them to photocopy
no card = no work
I mostly do commercial industrial and have never been asked for it, my CSCS card is always accepted no matter what site i go on.

Not true. You can do a recognised health and safety course and then provide proof of 'engagement in the electrical industry' and they accept qualifications as proof. I have the CSCS and am working as an improver on electricians money.

I mostly do commercial industrial and have never been asked for it, my CSCS card is always accepted no matter what site i go on.
Maybe look at my post again where I stated what you needed for ECS and if not then CSCS which as I said will get you on site but only as a labourer / mate

This is straight from their site

The Trainee Electrician ECS card is for trainees that are not undertaking an apprenticeship but are following a formal JIB industry training programme that will lead to an ECS Gold Card.

This card is issued under the strict understanding that a formal industry training programme is being undertaken and that all work the trainee carries out is under supervision

How can you give advice on the ECS card when you only have CSCS and obviously haven't gone down the ECS route?

I have worked with countless people who have applied for ECS and refused because they were only mates not on a progressive route for the reason I have put in bold above

If it's CSCS you are talking about then yes that is all you need to get on site as I said in my previous post but it not recognised as an electrical card and whoever has got a CSCS card technically can only do electrical labouring

And as for you working as an improver. You might have got on site as an improver but you are not an improver, you are a mate. Look up the definition if you don't know it and you should not be working as an improver with a CSCS card

Yes working for agencies as a subby you can blag site work as you have which is fine until
  1. it goes t**ts up and someone is right in the s**t
  2. you get fed up of agencies and you have to apply for an electrical job
  3. you get fed up of agencies and go it alone and try to register with a scam provider
I really don't think you should be advising potential new trainee electricians on ways to work as an electrician without the correct qualifications and correct site health & safety card because the advice you are giving is severely limiting job prospects

Last edited:
Maybe look at my post again where I stated what you needed for ECS and if not then CSCS which as I said will get you on site but only as a labourer / mate
Yeah but

'The Trainee Electrician ECS card is for trainees that are not undertaking an apprenticeship but are following a formal JIB industry training programme that will lead to an ECS Gold Card.'

What you don't seem to realise is you can get an electrical labourers card which actually gets you on site and for that all you need to do is pass a H&S course (3 hours online) and show 'engagement in the electrical industry'.

You do NOT need an 'electrical trainee' card to get on site as an improver. You're basically telling OP that to learn to drive he needs to sign up for Formula 3 otherwise he's got no chance.

And if you take time out to actually read what he wrote, he said he wants his ECS LABOURERS card not his 'trainee' card. Very different things.

At the end of the day you can argue about the semantics all you want. My way gets you on site grafting which is the only point of all of this.
How can you give advice on the ECS card when you only have CSCS and obviously haven't gone down the ECS route?
You have to have done the £99 course plus exam to be able to give advice on it? I've rang them up and actually spoken to them. I'm telling you what they told me.

I can see you're very passionate about being right though so i'll leave this one here.

You do NOT need an 'electrical trainee' card to get on site as an improver. You're basically telling OP that to learn to drive he needs to sign up for Formula 3 otherwise he's got no chance.

There seem to be a few OPs here but the one you are talking about is on a level 2 course who is by definition a trainee electrician on his way to a gold card

You DO need an ECS card to work as an improver, I think you mean to say that you can get on site and work as an improver with a CSCS card by LYING

Your analogy is totally wrong, I am telling the OP the correct way to progress and work his way up, it is you that is telling him to (using your analogy) jump in an F1 car before even starting to learn to drive

There is a reason why you spent a decade without anyone taking you on and it is because you want to work as a spark by doing virtually no training whatsoever

Please do not tell others who are doing things properly to lie and cheat their way into the system and stop giving advise on progressive routes you haven't done yourself and clearly know nothing about

Can you please help me out I’m applying for my ecs trainee (stage 3) card I have my level 1,2 and 3 from college and also have my 18 th edition and have done a H and S awareness course I’m just confused on what else I need as it put my ecs card on hold for missing qualification

Reply to Career paths/progressions in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net