Discuss Cash payment is morally wrong!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dontknowitall

David Gauke, MP is moaning about plumbers!

Want to write to him?

[email protected]<[email protected]

There you go.

I'm going to stuff him head first down the next filthy wc I find ...

This was my email to him:

Not sure why I called him "Sir" ...

Dear Sir

I am writing to let you know that I earned (as a self employed plumber) about £8,000 last year.

I declared EVERY SINGLE PENNY that I earned and have had my accounts cleared by my accountant and await my tax bill.

Many customers, especially the rich, think it is fine to delay payment by a few weeks. This affects cashflow, and is frustrating if you’ve spent well over £1,000 buying materials for that customer. You cannot take the materials you’ve bought out of your customer’s house because the law does not allow you to do that.

I give cash discounts to my customers because that way I know I have the money and I don’t have to worry about whether I’ll be paid for a job or not. Is this morally wrong?

I don’t claim for a second house as I don’t have one but I do dream that one day we’ll be able to afford a new car. A holiday this year would have been great too but the recession has hit my trade and my family can’t afford to go away, especially as my wife has also been redundant for around eight months.

I’m not asking for pity – just don’t tar all of us with the same brush while your energies would be more productive by going for some of the richer people.

I think they highlighted cash payments for the use of ''Tax Avoidance'' is morally wrong.

I can't see that either, as it is still very legal to find and use lawful loop holes to reduce your tax burden. ...They soon close the loops when discovered though ...lol!!!

What i'm saying is, lawful tax avoidance may well be morally wrong, but they are still NOT legally wrong according to the law!!

Me thinks this will be a looonnnggg..... thread. We all know we are required to pay tax and that not doing so places a burden on our 'British way of Life', NHS, Welfare State, fighting Wars, giving foreign aid, etc.etc. I like to think I'm a pretty law abiding person, but I have in the past as a very young sparks taken cash for private jobs etc. What Mr Gauke is suggesting, is that it is morally wrong for the customer asking the tradesman to accept cash thus avoiding paying said tax, and both parties getting benefit from not paying the tax, to the detriment of society. And he has a point. However, it is one of those things that has gone on since those's pesky Egyptian Pharaohs first thought of the idea, and let’s not forget recent examples of our more well off members of society - Jimmy Carr as a recent example, and nurmerous others.
So where do we stand here, do you do cash jobs, or getwork done for yourself and pay no tax? :devil:

I politician giving a lecture on morals.....if that's to be believed I guess plumbers, builders and office start really do know more about electricity than me....

i nearly put my foot the the radio when i heard that,bent tory mp's telling the working man he's morally wrong for taking cash,i mean where do you start with the replies,theres too many, ok the olympics,could have saved a fortune not hosting that,more than the 2mill these robbing tradesman do in guvvy's...bassers..:censored:

Vince Cable "forgot" about £200k ish of taxable income and got a smack on the legs. The expenses scandal of last year highlighted numerous MP's illegal expenses claims.
How many were prosecuted?

<rant> and this year HMRC have decided to pick on electricians and scare them that they may have been creative with their accounting, or have "forgotten" a few cash jobs.

They have approached this from the wrong end. They have written to every "Part P" registered electrician to put on the frighteners. I expect they will inspect the notified jobs database of every scheme, estimate the value of each and compare that figure with what has been declared on self assessment tax returns. Registered electricians are generally the good guys, otherwise weed not pay zillions of pounds for the pleasure of being lawful.

They should be looking out for the unregistered cash cowboys. </rant>

Think they should start looking at the £21 TRILLION being hidden by the super rich worldwide instead of me getting £30 for changing a light

Only my personal opinion but i reckon the whole Part P business has very little to do with safety and getting the cowboys out and far more to do with createing a paper trail for checking on people.

To my mind if it was all about safety they'd also have stopped the easy buying of electrical gear.....but thats abit of a tangent....

It's not morally wrong for a customer to pay cash in hand....it is however morally wrong to not declare that cash for tax purpose's,BUT i'll never achieve immortality....i can however achieve immorality (which may or may not even be a word...like alot of political phrases)

The Tradesmen are easy picking for the Revenue boys...lol!!

To go after one of the big boys, can cost literary thousands or even millions and take years, then only to fall flat at the last moment by hitting a dead end!! These guy's pay big bucks to loose big chunks of taxable income....

Its just a frightener. They have too much to do, and not enough staff.

Wouldn't worry.

ANd who would anyway, I declare all my income because cI earn so little I don't pay tax anyway. Does that make me clever

(no)

maybe if the government stopped giving billions to corrupt african dictatorships, even more corrupt EU bureaucrats, then used those billions to boost the british economy, peoplle would not have to try and save a few bob on fitting a new light, shower, kitchen cabinet. etc.

If they chase a big company for tax evasion and that company turns around and says 'screw this' moving the company outside the UK there's gonna be a big storm about 1000's of jobs lost and all the lost tax revenue (that which was declared).

Joe Blogg's the tradesman get's chased and says 'screw this' ends up going on the dole it only costs afew grand a year in benefit payouts and a loss of minimal tax revenue.

That's why big business and the rich can do what they like and any government wont do jack about it.

Really must start avoiding these soap boxes...

Pay as little as poss that's what the MPs do and the rich
if you have a small cash job an don't declare it the odd £20 for changing a light fitting etc
That goes into your local shop for something not in an offshore bloody bank account
i think he's onto the wrong people

Don't forget a recent thread about the hidden reasons for Part P. There is always a record of the notifiable work we have done. The tax man would not need to go too far to find out either!

And most of this cash is pumped back into the community either through shops or the local pub. I could rant on about MP's expenses and how government wastes money but that would just be repeating what we all know.

Don't forget the recent changes to weighing in scrap too.

I was recently informed that I had to provide my passport and a utility bill just to recycle some left over/scrap cable. Apparently this has nothing to do with inland revenue purposes but I have been informed that when you search details of the scheme the Inland Revenue logo is displayed.

Tax upon tax upon..... tax. If I get the opportunity to flee this Great British Island I will be long flocking gone and will not be looking back :thumbsup

Don't forget a recent thread about the hidden reasons for Part P. There is always a record of the notifiable work we have done. The tax man would not need to go too far to find out either!

they would require your permission before that happens which obviously you would say no

Reply to Cash payment is morally wrong!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock