Discuss Catering trailer electrics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Wobblybob32

Hi, just new to the forum. I recently bought a catering trailer and need it pat testing and checking. I had an elecy round the other day to quote for a new rcd / fuse box ect. He has stated it needs to be completely rewired with flexible cable not twin & earth a it is at the moment also I have blue 16amp female mains inlet connection on the trailer ? should this be a male??

Ok so what exactly are you wanting to know? You have had a spark look at the unit and he has given you his recommendations to make it comply with section 717.

Hi,

Without seing the trailer I wouldn't really be able to comment, I have no experience with them, but I don't see why you cant use twin and earth in the trailer so long as its all in trunking or not going to move etc, you would only really need to use flex if its being moved around inside, which i would imagine its in trunking. I don't know but there may even be something in BS7671 about it, ill take a look.

As for the PAT testing, this would only be for the appliances, fixed or stationary, so pretty much everything in there at a guess.

The inlet to the van, it should be a plug, not a socket, so yes it should be male else the lead you use to connect it will be a male and have live exposed pins which is very dangerous. This is easy enough to change, you would just need to buy a couple of new ends thats all.

Did he say why it needs rewiring with flex?

Some photos would be good if possible please.

Here you go...

2014-06-04 13.55.53.jpg

He wasn't too sure himself when he came round, does it actually need changing since it is fixed and clipped with twin & earth within trunking, originally was meant to be a quote to pat test and fit new fuse box, food trailer regs seem to be confusing everyone??

Thanks for reply, I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them, its just the quote he gave seems high just to fit fuse box and rewire when there are only 3 twin sockets in trailer and 10 items to pat test

Reply to Catering trailer electrics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net