Discuss Changing MR16 to LED in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I'm in the process of changing my MR16 bulbs to LEDs. I've manged to cut out most of the transformers and wire in a at GU10 lamp fitting which has worked fine.

However I have run into a little problem. I have pulled down a couple of transformers which appear to have to have 2 main cables running into them (2 Neutral & 2 Live) . It appears one of the cables is looped to the rest of the spotlights in the room. Previously i have only encountered 1 cable running into the transformer, which i have then cut out and wired in the GU10 lamp.

I guess my question is how can i connect the loop and the bulb together as they all previously ran through the transformer?

I have included pictures.

Many thanks,

Harry

Attachments

• Changing MR16 to LED IMG_7115 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_7115.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Changing MR16 to LED IMG_7119 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_7119.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 29
it's just a loop in and out. most LED fittings allow for 2 x L and 2 x N. if not, use wagos in a wago box at each point. 2 cables in and 1 out. remember to make the cpc (earth) continuous even if the new fitting don't need earthing. just looked at the 2nd pic. seems someone has cut off the cpc's. these need the cables stripping back and reinstating, with green/yellow sleeving added.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's just a loop in and out. most LED fittings allow for 2 x L and 2 x N. if not, use wagos in a wago box at each point. 2 cables in and 1 out. remember to make the cpc (earth) continuous even if the new fitting don't need earthing. just looked at the 2nd pic. seems some idiot has cut off the cpc's. these need the cables stripping back and reinstating, with green/yellow sleeving added.

Thank you i didn't realise i could just connect directly into the LED fitting. You're right it doesn't look like the fittings need earthing, but i'll strip the wires back and add some
green/yellow sleeving.

Thanks again

post a photo of the terminals in one of the LED fittings.

I might be misunderstanding but some of the old ones had a big transformer then they all just plugged in like a daisy chain to each other if that's what you've got you'll need to pretty much replace the lot

I might be misunderstanding but some of the old ones had a big transformer then they all just plugged in like a daisy chain to each other if that's what you've got you'll need to pretty much replace the lot
he's ripping the transformers ot and daisy chaining 240V GU10 fittings.

Hi

I'm in the process of changing my MR16 bulbs to LEDs. I've manged to cut out most of the transformers and wire in a at GU10 lamp fitting which has worked fine.

However I have run into a little problem. I have pulled down a couple of transformers which appear to have to have 2 main cables running into them (2 Neutral & 2 Live) . It appears one of the cables is looped to the rest of the spotlights in the room. Previously i have only encountered 1 cable running into the transformer, which i have then cut out and wired in the GU10 lamp.

I guess my question is how can i connect the loop and the bulb together as they all previously ran through the transformer?

I have included pictures.

Many thanks,

Harry
post a photo of the terminals in one of the LED fittings.

Hi, this is the fitting

Attachments

• Changing MR16 to LED fitting.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    fitting.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 24
Hi, this is the fitting
if that cable clamp is big enough for 2 cables, then loop at the terminal block. also they come with an earth connection. cpc's should be terminated so as to earth the metalwork of the fitting.

if that cable clamp is big enough for 2 cables, then loop at the terminal block. also they come with an earth connection. cpc's should be terminated so as to earth the metalwork of the fitting.

Thanks mate. Once i've stripped back the cable to reveal the earth, do i cover the earth with green/yellow sleeving and tape? or connect them to earth clamp at the terminal block?

IGNORE Above.

Thanks for your help mate. Really helpful!!

Last edited:
I’d put the house fixed wiring in a joint box (as previously suggested) then flex to each down light. Either a Wago, or my fav for down lights a Click CT102C;

Does that connection have an enclosure which goes around it. I see it encloses the live and neutral but not the earths. To me that leaves them not suitably enclosed.

Reply to Changing MR16 to LED in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock