Discuss Complete dwelling refurb inc re wire query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all
New here. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum!
I have a query regarding what will and won’t be possible with regard to a property I own in the north east.
The 3 bed semi is empty and being completely stripped out of all finishes and all services inc water and plumbing. Right back to the supply.
The question I have is - how far with the new install could I, not an electrician, go, for an electrician to be happy to sign it off once complete.

For example. I am chasing out and plan on wiring in all new circuits completely. All under the floorboards of the first floor or (in the case of Ff lighting) under the loft boards (but not under insulation!).

My plan is to do all of this and leave all the cables coming out of the top of the wall where I want the new CU to go.(not far from the existing one and the mains supply will reach as its closer to the meter). All cables labelled up an ready for an electrician to come and fit & wire in the CU (that I have already bought).

Please note I’m not after advice on how to do things or trying to do any electricians out of work! But this is all down to the cost which is why I am choosing this route.

My question is - would an electrician come in at the end of the job and install the CU to my labelled cables, test everything and sign it off? I am happy to take and show photos of work before it is concealed. And also I have all calculations, cable runs, sizes, anticipated loads etc all available to them if they wish.

I’m not any joe bloggs. I have a degree in construction management, diploma in surveying practise, years of working in construction. Run many million pound projects including procuring electrical drawings and contractors for commercial work etc plus worked as an elec’s mate for a year a while back. Not trying to show off just wondering if this would make a difference to show I’m not just joe bloggs trying to put brown and black together in a house and hope it doesn’t go bang..!

FWIW I could also competently fit and wire in the new CU but I imagine that’s a step too far for someone to come in, check, test And sign off ? (Though I wish it wasn’t?).

Thanks for your replies !

Tony

The model forms are a three signature form ; Designer, installer and,Tester. There is nothing to stop you doing it this way as long if you do it all above board , especially if you get building control involved and pay the the notification fee . That is a different route though.
You should be able to get an electrician to cooperate with you in this situation .
I am surprised you don't know a few. ;)

Why don’t you get in touch with a local electrician right now and discuss it all with them. That way they could visit and observe, you could brainstorm ideas and you’ll end with a good working relationship.
If you don’t do it this way you’ll make it more difficult for yourself later.

Hi thanks for the reply.
The house is being done in one go and the electrics being done as and when each area is ready. This is why’s i didn’t want to go the building control route, because they ask for dates for inspectons etc and i can see it becoming hard to give them correct dates.

I know a few electricians but none that I talk to much anymore. And none up the north!

Why don’t you get in touch with a local electrician right now and discuss it all with them. That way they could visit and observe, you could brainstorm ideas and you’ll end with a good working relationship.
If you don’t do it this way you’ll make it more difficult for yourself later.

Hi — this Is because I am concerned that if I do, then they’ll come round and try to tell me I need them to do x y and z and before I know it I’m paying out a few grand for them to re wire lol

With your background and statements you are able to do all the wiring you could do it all and get building control in. If you have done construction at the level you say you should know having to shell out a few K is not going to happen in the real world. You have to notify at least 48 hours before starting and they will come and inspect. As to the correct dates, spurious, you can arrange a date that suits. BC inspectors understand how it is with constructions and there are many slips twixt cup and lip. You would only have to pay the BC fee £3-400 dependant on where you are. Otherwise you can get a third party sign off. This will require being in at the design level and all stages of the process with drawings and testing as it goes on. Then the second fix again testing prior to commissioning. You will also need a spark to supply temporary power for tradesmen on site. The commissioning and final live tests and issue of EIC with BC notice from your spark. Me I would cost around 1k to do all that. But then of course you want to know the building is safe, yes?

planning meetings then site visits time to write up certificates. It’s going to be well over grand.
Just out of interest are you doing the plumbing and gas work as well

Hi thanks for the reply.
The house is being done in one go and the electrics being done as and when each area is ready. This is why’s i didn’t want to go the building control route, because they ask for dates for inspectons etc and i can see it becoming hard to give them correct dates.

I know a few electricians but none that I talk to much anymore. And none up the north!
Apparently they have em up there.....:)

You need a good insurance for covering you property for the to do his own work ,third party will not cover if his house burns down ,if it would be better to work with a spark on the job with him .

Hi
Thanks again for the replies.
I will be doing the plumbing yes, but not the gas. There is no gas work to be done, the gas supply to the boiler and the boiler are the only two things that are salvageable in the whole house (lol).
I was considering going through the local councils building control approval route but would they not want to come out more frequently as well, much like if i went to a local spark?
'Well over a grand'.. really? I thought no more than 2 days labour and a little extra for the cert.. ?

Talk to the building inspector he may accept your qualifications. They have the option to do that.

Not trying to show off just wondering if this would make a difference to show I’m not just joe bloggs trying to put brown and black together in a house and hope it doesn’t go bang..!

Brown and blue, mate.... brown and blue :)

In the long run, it might be cheaper and less hassle just to have an electrician do it all for you. Chasing walls and lifting floorboards for them is great, but you would need to know how to calculate cable sizes, installation methods, prescribed zones etc.
Rewire now instead of ten years down the line after all the decorations are finished.
Take recommendations from neighbours or friends regarding trustworthy electricians in the area.

Brown and blue, mate.... brown and blue :)

In the long run, it might be cheaper and less hassle just to have an electrician do it all for you. Chasing walls and lifting floorboards for them is great, but you would need to know how to calculate cable sizes, installation methods, prescribed zones etc.
Rewire now instead of ten years down the line after all the decorations are finished.
Take recommendations from neighbours or friends regarding trustworthy electricians in the area.

That was the joke lol.
I know how to calculate cable sizes, methods and zones etc. I have also done plans for power and lighting as well as tabled all calculations and proposed circuits. I’ll put an ad out for a local spark but also will speak to local bc tomorrow to see what options I have.
Thanks again

I'd be interested in a quote your LBC may give you, to do the inspection & testing?

@Vortigern is one of those 3rd party inspection & testing contractor, he's suggested about £1000 fee.

There was a download you could complete, to see if your competency to carry out electrical work, would be recognised by a building control, but the document has now been removed;
Electrician Competence Recognition - https://www.------.org/involved/collaboration/electrician-competence-recognition/?utm_source=redirect&utm_medium=legacyredirects&utm_campaign=2019relaunch

Reply to Complete dwelling refurb inc re wire query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock