Discuss Confusion about down lights & Zones/IP Ratings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TPES

Me and a friend were discussing down lights in bathrooms and what’s required, both had different opinions.

2.25m from floor level is outside all zones right.. I've found this accounts for most bathrooms, Still IP65 Down lights installed above a bath, as sprays from water jets (the shower) which is what i do.

Past the bath (Zone2), If ceiling height was still in zone 2 then IPX4 down lights to be used.

But as its not and above 2.25m from floor level meaning outside zones, are the regs stating Any Down light is acceptable? Still common sense tells me that i would want a certain degree of protection from the damp/moisture in the air,

What IP Rated down lights are you installing outside the bath area?

Covering your backside and just going for IP65 all round? as i know some sparks do?

I tend to just make all the downlights in the bathroom IP 65 as when you start mixing and matching different light fittings they look completely different and look a bit heath robinson. That's just how I do it everyone to their own though.cheers

I tend to install the IP45 lights, they are good enough for shower rooms and they give a better light than shower ones as the lamp is lower in the fitting

Didnt think of IP45, I always thought it was IP65 above a bath or shower, Just checked the regs and its IPX5, So IP45 is fine, Although i did just do a search for IP45 down lights and couldnt even get 1 result to come up.. Am i just that bad at speeling :D

Me and a friend were discussing down lights in bathrooms and what’s required, both had different opinions.

2.25m from floor level is outside all zones right.. I've found this accounts for most bathrooms, Still IP65 Down lights installed above a bath, as sprays from water jets (the shower) which is what i do.

Past the bath (Zone2), If ceiling height was still in zone 2 then IPX4 down lights to be used.

But as its not and above 2.25m from floor level meaning outside zones, are the regs stating Any Down light is acceptable? Still common sense tells me that i would want a certain degree of protection from the damp/moisture in the air,

What IP Rated down lights are you installing outside the bath area?

Covering your backside and just going for IP65 all round? as i know some sparks do?
very good point, something i hadnt noticed in the change from 16th to 17th :eek:
i would still use ip rated fittings as always though as it seems a strange thing to change :confused:

Sparky1234, not trying to dispute anything I have searched for IP 45 downlight's to no avail as magic sid has . Are you referring to IP 44 downlight's as the lamps I know sit lower to the lens cover or some other fitting. If an IP 45 downlight was available it would look much better as you mentioned the IP 65 lights cut down on the light output and beam angle. Thanks

Reply to Confusion about down lights & Zones/IP Ratings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net