Discuss Continuity Between P & N in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

eskimo39

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi I was working Xmas eve at a friends house installing some decorative faceplates to all his sockets. I turned off the power at the MCB and then when I checked accross Phase and Neutral to determine that the supply was off, got a continuity beep from my Fluke T5.

I checked this on all the downstairs sockets and got the same result. However on the upstairs sockets It showed no continuity and no voltage. Can anyone explain why??

Cheers

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

andyb

-
Arms
If appliances were still plugged in on that circuit you would get continuity through the line conductor, through the appliance and then back through the neutral conductor. You will also get continuity between line & earth if the neutral is still connected at the distribution board.

Last edited:
E

eskimo39

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds obvious now!!!!! :eek:

I will check again when I next go down and unplug all appliences before commencing a test again.

Thanks ever so much.

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to Continuity Between P & N in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
Top Bottom