Discuss Cooker cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

p425 Appendix 15 of BGB, 433.1.103 (iii), cookers, ovens and hobs rated over 2kW must be on their own dedicated radial circuit.
Immersions and space heaters are covered under 433.1.103 (ii)

Simples

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again, sorry been working away.
had a sparky round while I been away, due to the wooden floor and the in-laws not wanting to take it up, the sparky has said he will put 3 fused Spurs in and spilt the cooker, is this safe ????

had a sparky round while I been away, due to the wooden floor and the in-laws not wanting to take it up, the sparky has said he will put 3 fused Spurs in and spilt the cooker, is this safe ????

Are you saying he is going to add 3 fuse spurs to the existing ring and run 3 seperate supplies for each segment? ...

Either we don't have all the details here or this 'Electrician' is clueless, if the oven you have is in deed the one that was shown in a previous post then it needs its own dedicated supply, regardless of your parents not wanting the floor up. It needs doing right and if that means the floor up then that's what has to be done.

Appendix 15 of the regs expresses fixed loads exceeding 2kw should not be connected to the ring main socket circuit and should have their own dedicated supply - your oven is 7.3kw rated.

Last edited:
AS OTHERS HAVE ALREADY SAID!!! This needs to be on its own radial circuit from the consumer unit to its isolation switch then onto the appliance NO CHOICE! NO NEGOTIATION!

The Max Load, which you've already tried and blown your ring mains Over Load Protection, is around 32Amps and generally the cable would be 6.0mm2 but depending on the length of cable used and where its installed correction factors may need to be applied and it could require a larger cable? Plenty of good sparkies on here get a local 1 to come and design your circuit.... beats having your house burnt down or someone injured.

Can someone tell me about cooker cables, the in-laws have had a new kitchen fitted, but they have put the cooker on 2.5mm cable, and wired it in to the ring main off a switched fuse ???
the cooker is a range master, for some reason the kitchen fitters took the manual for the cooker ???
but I have download a copy, it states that with both ovens, clock and grill it's 7.5kw (the hob is gas)
the reason I ask is because on Saturday had family party, used the ovens and the fuse blown, not much fun when your half way cooking, I always thought cooker cables are 6mm.
the manual does say 2.5mm to 6mm but to me the lines point to the cores in the cable, if that makes sense

Oh dear. I would recommend you get another opinion from a decent sparky

Can't believe we're still on this-

p425 Appendix 15 of BGB, 433.1.103 (iii), cookers, ovens and hobs rated over 2kW must be on their own dedicated radial circuit.

Read the flipping regs book, reading isn't really that hard, you're doing it now.........

Can't believe we're still on this-

Read the flipping regs book, reading isn't really that hard, you're doing it now.........

Problem is matey, that Kitchen Fitters don't have copies and think they know best!

i must be lucky. the few kitchen fitters i have "worked with" know the score.

" i told you where the cables are... you damage, you pay, end of"

no problem.

There may be an alternate route to get the cable to where it needs to go. Get your own spark in to assess it I reckon. Sounds like the blind leading the blind with the, ahem, sparks who have been in.

Gotta say that sparks are the king of the trades in my view. Any decent spark could grasp most other trades in lightning speed.

Gotta say that sparks are the king of the trades in my view. Any decent spark could grasp most other trades in lightning speed.

Well I have got my head round the basics of most trades, It's just called being handy really.....but the dark art of plastering still eludes me.

Well I have got my head round the basics of most trades, It's just called being handy really.....but the dark art of plastering still eludes me.
agree there. most of us can butcher some bits of wood together and join copper pipes, but slopping muck on the walls and getting it flat is truly a dark art.

Reply to Cooker cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net