Discuss Cowboy problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Ed Turner

I got asked to have a look at a house a couple of weeks ago that had just been "rewired". There are no end of snags, the first I noticed is the meter tails have been replaced with 10mm T&E (using CPC as earthing conductor). The main fuse has been pulled to swap the tails. There are cracked/damaged faceplates all over the house and still old red and black in the kitchen, visible because faceplates not screwed back. (I know if it tests fine it can still be used, but it clearly shows the house hasn't been fully rewired.)

The client has asked me for a bit of help/advice. She's been in touch with building control who had said the other sparky must be given the opportunity to complete the work. He's already written the certificate and been paid, to me that sounds like he has completed the work.

He used to be registered with a CP scheme but membership ceased 2 years ago.

She's got several addresses for him, none of which are recognised by any CP scheme.

Any ideas what to do next?

If your sure hes not registered with a Part P provider and has done a re-wire which requires notifying under Part P then surely building control must have an interest. He's broken the law whether he fixes it or not!

I'd be speaking again to building control .....

Give her help and support, within reason, then you will come out smelling of roses, unlike the prxck who did the work.

Could she write to trading standards? They may not be immediately interested, but the more letters they get, things may change

If your sure hes not registered with a Part P provider and has done a re-wire which requires notifying under Part P then surely building control must have an interest. He's broken the law whether he fixes it or not!

Unfortunately, no he hasnt. It's the duty of the homeowner to comply with Part P, not the contractor.

I must disagree. If as claimed, he was a scheme member, then he has a duty to notify the client of the requirement of Part P

If he was holding out to be Part P registered and wasn't then that is a matter for Trading Standards, I read the OP as that it hadn't been specified either way. It's still the duty of the homeowner to either inform BC of the work or employ a registered contractor to do it for them - and THEY (homeowner) has the duty of due diligence to ensure that the credentials of the contractor are verified to all reasonable measures (that's an important fact in UK Law which often gets overlooked and applies to nearly all forms of contract and professions). That doesn't remove the contracting parties liability under fraud legislation, though.

Building control take far too long to ressolve or worse even take an interest. Get the lady to contact cowboy builders probably get quicker response.

My point being is that he "was" a scheme member and therefore will understand Part P and couldn't claim they weren't aware.

Let's not do the 'Who's responsibility..' discussion again! :)
My point is, this "Installer" doesn't care less, unregistered, multiple addresses...

I'd say call building control and trading standards and insist something is done. Failing that write to your MP and the DCLG, this part P nonsense has gone on long enough.
Everyone needs to kick up a stink about these cowboys, just rolling over and putting their work right won't stop them.

He he hasn't broken the law if he can prove he's competent
although if the work is as stated he won't be able to and claiming to be registered is probably fraud if you can prove he claimed he was
either way your friend appears to have been scammed

Very true, its ultimately the homeowners responsibility! I made the assumption that he has convinced the homeowner he was Part P registered hence she used him unknown that he wasn't!

Either way (I'll assume again!) the work has not been registered under part P and so LABC should have an interest --- presumably a few other bodies such as trading stds as well.

Of course whether any of them will do anything is another matter .....

I'd say call building control and trading standards and insist something is done. Failing that write to your MP and the DCLG, this part P nonsense has gone on long enough.
Everyone needs to kick up a stink about these cowboys, just rolling over and putting their work right won't stop them.

Thing is unfortunately, it seems like no-one gives a hoot who's registered and who's not, and theres certainly no-one enforcing anything

round my way if an electrician is not registered and doesnt notify or cert works EVEN when building control are involved in the works, they only get another sparks to do an eicr, so what chance you got if there not involved?

me personally im just too busy to start getting involved, look on the bright side, you have got another client and a load of work out of it!

The shame of it is, unless someone dies or a house gets burnt to the ground, no-ones gonna be interested!

Burying your head in the sand won't do anything!

Kick up a stink, involve trading standards, write to your MP, write to the tabloids, try bbc watchdog/rogue traders.

In a way you could say Part P is to blame for the cowboy situation , anybody could claim to be approved or registered even though they are not , that in itself could get them work....

Well , I do think cowboys have always been around , but with the Part P stamp and with all the influx of untraceable foreigners its become much more a problem than ever , and together with the lack policing of the situation , its out of control,,,,

Reply to Cowboy problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net